Decoupling x-ray and limit selection to visible

Yeah that doesn’t help. You should have contributed to the discussion, blaming others for attempting is just disrespectful.

3 Likes

I disagree, I toggle Select Through more often. This is just a personal workflow thing, no need to discuss this :wink:

If Xray button will represent Select Through, what functionality this button should represent in object or sculpt mode then?

In modes where there’s no select through, there will only be X-ray. It really depends on the solution, whether it’ll be one or two buttons. A problem for later I’d say. Removing a button is easy, because that’s just leaving it as it is in Blender by default.

The default settings are a little weird. I have Xray Facedots enabled by default, and if you right click it in the toolsettings panel you can reset it to default. But if you already have a startup scene I have seen how it won’t have that setting on if it wasn’t there before. At least that’s what I am seeing right now as I double checked it. You can get the default startup scene if you rename your setting folder for 3.2 temporarily, should have Xray Facedots on.

As far as buttons in the header changing, that’s probably for the custom build only. I had an idea that I’ll do in a few days after release and updating to VS 2022 is sorted out.

I would like to clarify this - so the same button will represent different functionality in different modes?
In Edit mode it will represent Select Through and in Object / Sculpt modes it will represent Xray?

(I am talking about Ludvik proposal that assumes switching Xray button functionality from controlling Xray to controlling Select Through.)

I am not sure that UI team will agree to it since it is quite controversial solution in general.

Dunno how Ludvik would solve the single button situation. Maybe through an addon to remove the button :crazy_face: I have tried to discuss how we could get away with only one button, but that’s only making things more complicated. Especially for new users who didn’t follow this discussion.

By now I think give me two buttons and remove the Select Through button when it is in a mode in which it is not useful (e.g. Sculpt).

Aw, okay.
I think the single button with 3 modes (your solution) is possible, but only if it will keep controlling Xray.

In this case all modes seems to be solvable, but 2 buttons solution seems to be more obvious/explicit - so separate Select Through button can be autohidden in modes that does not support Selecting Through.

Also, separate Select Through button seems to be quite easily solvable with addon in case if UI team will consider autohiding button solution or a single button with 3 modes concept controversial.

1 Like

I’m an industry professional that has used Maya for well over a decade, and it’s safe to say this is one of the most infuriating things about blender. Constantly having to go in and out of xray mode. I wouldn’t mind so much if you could just just leave xray mode on permanently and adjust it’s opacity, but it doesn’t remember between object and edit mode.
It’s laughable, because everyone moans about Autodesk maya/max and their ‘quirks’ that haven’t been fixed for years, yet blender has become the same way. Blender tries to be too clever for its own good, prioritising ‘edge case’ uses, that you will virtually NEVER use. Just do something simple, and do it well!

Man… If I had a penny for every single time someone signs up to these forum just to post in this thread… :slight_smile:

It would be useful to know many people actually like the blender does it. I’m myself not really invested into this discussion one way or another, but this thread probably does suffer a bit from the fact that only annoyed people make the effort to post about it.

1 Like

I’ve made that argument a few times already - There’s about 5 other relevant DCCs out there: 3ds Max, Maya, Cinema4D, Modo and Houdini.

I haven’t ever seen users of any other of these relevant DCCs to ever beg their developers to make the mesh selection work the same way it does in Blender. And pretty much all of these 5 DCCs do it nearly the same, consistent way as each other.

On the other hand, I see both existing as well as new Blender users begging Blender developers to have an option to not do the mesh selection the way Blender does it.

It doesn’t give you exact ratio, but it’s a strong implication that these camps aren’t equal.

If these selection approaches were equally good, we would see users of those other major DCCs at least occasionally make requests to add Blender style mesh selection. But they don’t. I haven’t seen any, and I looked. There’s just Maya, which has option to select face centers, which is off default. This feature is so underused, that even many of the Maya expert users don’t remember it exists.

3 Likes

Maybe you’re right. But you need to take into account that there’s probably (at the current point in time) more people moving to blender than from blender. If only because there currently are probably a lot more modelers using those other programs.

People who have never used blender are not going to ask for blender-like behavior in another program.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, just saying you need to take that into account as well. If I look at the total number of blender users posting here and in other locations the number of people complaining about this still is a (vocal) minority of all the people posting, after all.

I’m all for giving people options, by the way. I don’t really like the “I’m right and blender is wrong” attitude, which a lot of people in this thread have, much. But I’m all for supporting multiple ways of doing things, the need is clearly there.

3 Likes

Though you do need to consider that most people don’t take the effort to complain and request a specific feature on the forums. They usually complain offline and may not even know about the forums. So the fact that so many people do complain is also quite telling.

1 Like

I think the historical aspect should also be taken into account.
Most of the DCCs like Maya, C4D, Houdini that were popularized in the 00’s were developed at a time when 3dsmax was the only available option on the market in the late 90’s, no wonder they cloned the 3dsmax approach the same way 3dsmax cloned AutoCAD in the late 80s.
At the time, industry requirements and capacities were different.

33 posts were split to a new topic: X-Ray selection experiments build

Let’s do the discussion regarding @lcas’ experimental build in another topic, and keep this one about the original design discussion.

1 Like

It’s better be named “Select Through and AutoXray selection experiments build”, I guess.

So what do we talk about while we wait for a response, or another side of this mostly 1-sided conversation? I’ll start by trying to recall where we left off a few weeks ago and are waiting to hear further.

What is being considered:

1. Select by face area in xray
  2. Select by non-enclosed or non-adaptive edge
  3. Auto xray as an alternative convenience

What is not being considered:
4. Turn off xray facedot visibility

What I don’t know for sure 100% but last we heard is basically “no”
5. Select through

Some questions I have:
6. Anything missing/wrong from that list?
7. Is there a way to reconcile these things?
8. How to do that?
9. What does “design” mean specifically in the context of, select through is a design issue?

3 Likes

For me priorities looks something like that:

.5 Select through
.2 Select by non-enclosed or non-adaptive edge
.1 Select by face area in xray
.4 Turn off xray facedot visibility
.3 Auto xray as an alternative convenience

I really wish for select through to be reconsidered. Auto X-Ray is annoying visually to be a serious replacement for proper see-through selection.

1 Like