Blender UI paper cuts

This menu should have a loop option:

Other software usually puts a loop icon next to the playback controls, like so:

EDIT: Oh, and this is just plain wrong… I don’t know why it says this as I just jumped to the beginning of my animation using the leftmost button, and then attempted to click to go to the next keyframe:

The button worked once, I think… but now just flashes that blue message whenever I try anything (doesn’t matter what is selected either, which when that bar is minimized, correctly shouldn’t have any impact anyway).

5 Likes

Currently Blender always “loops” the timeline as far as I know. I am aware of no “bounce” or “stop” options ?

Yes, had the same problem a few days ago. You click on render, and nothing happens. Too bad it’s not supported. I had all the cameras set up and bound to keyframes in an animation.

That you can’t modify (add loops) to a base mesh after you’ve added shape keys is a pretty terrible limitation (and again, Blender happily destroys your model without warning).

One would think that vertices that find that they have a new neighbor could interpolate their shapekey transforms to smoothly adjust for the change…

Similar to the way you can clear an armature from a mesh, add/subdivide bones, and then reparent with automatic weights and still have the animations work well, a corresponding method should exist for shapekeys.

(This is perhaps slightly bigger than a paper-cut.)

EDIT: The fact that you need to manually create a copy (“new mix”) and then delete each individual shape key to apply them is still very cumbersome, as well as needing an add-on to create a mesh with all shape keys fully applied, and when searching the internet about these issues, the threads you will find are nearly 10 years old!

AFAIR Vertices have numbers and based on that the shapekey knows what to do with each. If you add a loop, the numbers are re-assigned, which in some programs can be propagated to shapekeys.
Maybe there is an addon for Blender which does that.

And yes, this is a major feature, not a paper-cut.

1 Like

Topology Automasking doesn’t work with the Masking brush.

GIF 07.02.2020 14-00-17

2 Likes

Some of your suggestions are not really “a small UI Paper cuts” but rather should be reported on a separate thread or if not working as “intended” then a bug report.

2 Likes

I would like to request adding “Clear All” to pose mode context menu next to “clear user transforms” because it only works when there is no keys but Clear All works in both, I know we can add it to quick favourite but it would much faster to use one Menu instead of two for a simple option unless we can make “Clear user Transforms” to also work when there are keyframes.
All

Hello - hope I’m posting in the right place.

All Dev. Status

Hot

• GENERAL

Collection instancing origin (dynamic offset) by object

Adding mpm solver for dirt,snow,sand,grain etc

• USER INTERFACE

More consistent scrollwheel interaction across Blender UI

• Open

• GENERAL, USER INTERFACE

An Option for Sync Navigation for Creation

• Open

• GENERAL

Painted mask should be the AFFECTED area, not unaffected

• Open

• GENERAL

SVG Exporter

• Open

• SCULPTING

Basic layered sculpting via shape keys.

• Open

• GENERAL

New modifier idea: Non destructive Inset modifier

• Open

• GENERAL, RENDERING

Different tile size for CPU/GPU

Allow Selecting of Hidden Objects

• Open

• GENERAL, ANIMATION

Requesting a second option to scrub in the 3D Viewport for Graphics Tablet Users(Animators).

• Open

• GENERAL

Allow Different World Settings Per View Layer

• Open

• GENERAL, USER INTERFACE

“Smart Copy”, Avoid Duplicating Data Unnecessarily During Appending/Copying

• Open

• GENERAL, MODELING…

How to get original Rotation and everything else?

• Open

• USER INTERFACE

Colorpicker with palette

• Open

Load More Posts

Let’s fix the video output defaults!

If you set the render settings > output to FFMPEG, by default you get Matroska H.264 Medium Quality with no audio.

Matroska is broken in Blender. If you export a Matroska and then import it into the VSE it comes out the wrong length. MP4 would be better.

H.264 Medium Quality is fine - though I’d personally opt for High Quality.

I would also think that PCM, bitrate 320 would be a better audio setting.

I think this would improve Blender’s ability to work out of the box, and would be a very easy fix.

2 Likes

Again, without warning and without graying out any options in the UI:

Ideally, topology automasking shouldn’t affect mirror at all. If I, for example, want to sculpt the upper lip symmetrically without affecting the lower lip, it should just work.

EDIT: Wait, this works close to the centerline, but not further away? So it’s a bug? The model is completely symmetrical, and I’ve double checked this using the topology mirror in edit mode.

GIF 10.02.2020 13-52-03

2 Likes

This does seem weird. Not sure if you noticed ,but when your towards the center, both dots are within the cursor. Report it and see what they say.

You’re looking for “faces”, as simple as that (third entry in the menu). It will delete selected faces, as well as vertices and edges that are part of the selection and not attached to another face. Same behaviour as Maya.

1 Like

Omg, I think I had a small stroke.
Can we pretend it never happened?

Also the regular file saving…

It’d be very helpful if you could submit this as a bug, thanks.

I’ve mentioned this before, but I’ll say it again, I’ve had 99% of my submitted bugs closed with the reason “design issue”, so this thread are my bug reports these days. :stuck_out_tongue:

Submitting bug reports is a waste of time for me, sadly.

1 Like

Don’t be jaded, bug reporting is very strict to keep things manageable, it’s not against you. That symmetry thing looks like a bug to me. If it turns out it’s not considered as such, we can share the blame.

I proposed on RCS to add something like platform for Reroute Node to be able to move it by mouse cursor.

Like in this UE 4 example (GIF inside)

Maybe if it get some votes on RCS it would be good to add to Blender such thing.

2 Likes

Cry baby cry.

It nice little addition if there was highligh line on mouseover region resize.

Like some editors do eg. Unreal
aaaqw

14 Likes