Blender UI paper cuts

…why?
I like meters.

2 Likes

This is not a paper cut, but i just learned (the hard way) that making linked data single user is not currently implemented in 2.80 . :frowning:

Since we’re already in the bug fixing phase, and apparently not adding new features, does that mean this won’t be added till the next version?

Update: I was trying to access this from the outliner (right click> ID Data> Make Single User). I’ve since learned that the command can also be accessed from Object > Relations > Make Single User - and this actually works!

It’s just more compatible with everything else. I don’t recall seeing any major 3D app running meters as it’s default unit. Blender is alone on this one. It’s too much.

1 Like

Why?
Anyone with that attitude will fail at learning any 3d app, or 3d work in general. It’s stupid to try and retain people whose very lack of effort are going to mean they fail anyway. It’s more worthwhile to put good habits into those passionate about continuing, and push the boundaries and preconceptions of 3d workflows - something blender has been all about until 2.8: https://code.blender.org/2013/10/redefining-blender/.

Meters is the base SI unit. That should be enough said.
But I’ll add it means that with two zeroes you can have scenes the size of football fields, or the size of small everyday objects.
If you want a real size scene in centimetres, you’l end up with stupid amounts of zeroes.

2 Likes

I guess you only use Blender, right?
Please do some research.

1 Like

@Antaioz, it seems you have a misconception about blender users, read Riccardo’s post above. Most people are stupid, they are not able to read the manual and change the settings. Well, they can do it, of course, but they won’t, they’ll just switch to another program that’s more intuitive.

It is just a feature of the brain, to save energy, the brain avoid learning as much as possible.

Therefore, for example, if you suggest a person to use the right mouse button to select objects, the brain will resist and no logical explanations will help, it is an unconscious reaction.

2 Likes

This is clearly a user preference, and one that can easily be solved by saving a startup file.

Architects would argue to use mm, it gets rid of using decimal points.

3 Likes

Total guesswork of course, and I agree that yeah, the cleanest handholdy walled garden ux doesn’t change the fact that most lazy people aren’t going to keep at it and are wasted effort. But not all of them.

The goal is to get as many people as possible, and ux is ground zero. Not actively scaring filthy casuals away is worth the effort. You keep them around blender long enough to learn.

You do this by providing a more conventional experience, because good luck getting the world to conform to blenders way of doing things. They gave it a good shot for the last decade but it’s run its course. Fortunately you can do this while offering and encouraging most if not all of the things that make blender great.

The other big hurdle is studio adoption. Being more comporable and friendly to other apps from ux standpoint can only help.

1 Like

You’re inferring that goal, from nowhere.
Did you read the about page and mission statement? That’s what blender users have cared about for so long.

1 Like

im trowing this here because probably its something that its not going to look for it or not even read it.

6 Likes

While it looks like some can’t expose ideas politely

unfortunately there are some crazy stupid people here

3 Likes

Paper cut: in left click input mode I can place the cursor only if I select the cursor tool, in right-click mode no matter what tool I have left click always place the cursor around the view. Is this intended?

As for the issue of the default unit of measure, it obviously seems wrong if you mostly are modeling smaller household items, but correct if you are often modeling larger things, such as buildings, cars etc.

Also, in the metric system, the meter is the base unit. From there you can go up (km) or down (cm, mm etc), so from that point of view I think the meter is a reasonable default unit of measurement. You can of course change it and save a custom startup file if you always are modeling insects and want to measure in mm or micrometers.

7 Likes

Modifier Tools addon. Inconsistent menu panel.
If you use Modifier Tools addon, The menu bar always disappears and appears. If there is no modifier, the menu does not appear, if there is a modifier, the menu appears. And the button Add Modifier always moves up and down.

This menu should always be visible. It should not disappear if there is no modifier, this menu should be visible but inactive grayish.
xdrtdrtydrt5ydr

3 Likes

These kinds of addons aren’t considered part of the core Blender experience. You can of course point out issues with addons, but they usually have separate authors, and won’t be considered for the list of paper cuts.

2 Likes

Hahaha… Ofc centimeters is the most used unit among DCC apps, that’s what I use to be more in line with everything, but remember, this is Blender, probably will be the default in a few years from now.
Don’t forget, left click select just became default after years and years of war, hahaha, same thing will happen with this.

For now enjoy the gigantic 2 meters default cube. :rofl:

4 Likes

Referring to Blender UI paper cuts

I stress that none of the students is stupid or lazy: they simply have zero knowledge of the subject matter and interface of Blender.

Please consider my observations: they are the result of a field test (and I don’t think I teach so badly as to confuse the students’ ideas a priori).

Here I attach a further interference, always with the same pattern.
CI-Edit

2 Likes

I don’t think you’re going to eliminate all of these without ending up with some ridiculously abstract names for things.

Teach your students how context and editors work in blender, then they’ll know that the headers refer to the editor they’re a part of, the topbar refers to the current tool, etc. This is stuff they need to learn, how the window is compartmentalised.

It’s just not feasible to rename everything to be unique, or move everything around to be farther apart (espescially since the user can arrange editors and headers however), the students have to learn how things are linked to the context their in.

1 Like

At the very least, Modo & Houdini use meters by default. Not sure about all other apps, but meters is not particularly out of the ordinary. C4D indeed uses cm.

6 Likes

I know some of them uses Meters, It’s just about what’s most popular. Houdini and Modo are not as popular as Maya/C4D/Unreal etc…

2 Likes