Blender 2.8 Wireframes Discussion

You’re thinking about visualizing, others are thinking about modeling. It’s basically what everyone who models with wireframe wants, needs and loved blender. That’s why it has been asked to return to that way of working.

It’s what’s in every program, and what hundreds of users everywhere asked for.

2 Likes

what’s the point of wireframes besides better visualization for modeling and checking your mesh topology,…etc :man_facepalming: i know you old 2.7x users are stuck in the past and refuse to move forward that’s why we keep seeing the same old tech requests instead of embracing the new one and nagging about any little change here and there…
the "old wireframes"is in every program because majority are stuck in the old 80-90s implementation and never made any new update to it and they suck, maya,3ds max,C4D…etc all have ugly wireframes that pretty much useless for professional work

You’re using high poly count models to prove your point. There is absolutely no use for wireframe visualization on high poly count models unless you’re just tying to show how high the polygon count is on your model. People who model on the polygon level require an accurate representation of what they are working with, which is something that versions of Blender 2.80 (alpha or beta) prior to those in recent days have failed to deliver on. If you are working with representations like what you are showing in your screen shots, you are not working on the polygon level and are more likely working on the level required for sculpting or animating high res meshes. You have no need for accurate representation of the mesh at the level we are talking about. Just because your needs differ from what is needed by low poly or technical level modelling doesn’t mean those needs are not valid. If you don’t need to see the level of granularity that traditional mesh modellers need to see, you should keep your opinion to yourself. The reason that “old wireframes”, as you put it, exist are obviously beyond your grasp, so you should not express your opinion on what is useful for professional work. I don’t go making judgements on your profession. I would appreciate it if you don’t make judgements on mine.

8 Likes

This is the most ignorant statement I’ve seen on this forum. Everything in the 3d realm is not related to aesthetics whether the end result is aesthetically pleasing or not. Your opinion based 100% on how pleasant looking a step along the way of creating a finished piece is and not on the reality of creating 3d works. Sometimes the steps along the way of making a nice image require an in depth study of the finer details. Aesthetics do not apply in this realm. Accept this.

5 Likes

The one where I can see every edge and every vertex. That’s the one that’s better. I wouldn’t think I would need to explain this to someone that frequents this forum.

Totally unrelated. Why would I want BI, old UI or the blender game engine. I just want to edit meshes. I don’t see the logic in this statement at all. How is being able to accurately model related in any way to an outdated render engine or a game engine? I really feel like you don’t work in the realm of mesh modelling and you are lumping all things unrelated to what you do into one group. It’s almost like assuming that all people who aren’t white are the same, or thinking that all people who know how to dance also hate math, just because you hate math and are a good dancer. You make no sense. You are arguing against something you obviously have no practical use for.

Are you not nagging about a little change? Am I missing something? Are you paying attention to the words you are typing?

Umm…really?

Right, exactly why this change was made…and

right…so not antialiased. Accurate, you know for checking mesh topology…what’s your point exactly? You seem like you’re arguing for recent changes, yet you are in fact arguing against them. Bizarre.

6 Likes

what’s the point of wireframes besides better visualization for modeling and checking your mesh topology,

Er, how about, ya know, 3D modelling? If I can’t see where my verts and lines are, I struggle to edit my models…

6 Likes

It isn’t AA problem. 2.7x has AA too and wireframes were comfortable to work with.
Last updates are good and almost usable.
Problems for me are:

1. thick edges in edge selection mode - in lastest versions they don’t look as bad as they were but anyway they still make it hard to read topology dense meshes.
    Still waiting for Clément to put an option to the preferences to disable this behavior.

2. This depth cue (x-ray, you name it) - still doesn’t work. It is cool thing pn a paper and Houdini, for example, shows that it is possible to implement in a right way

(Notice - there is AA enabled and everything looks and feels ok).

4 Likes

this is what I imagined useful, z-depth…
a way to represent the depth of the vertices and edges with a gray scale

geez what’s with the attitude kid!! stop being defensive no need for it and no one is making judgement here because my statement was in general and not direct to you but you seem very edgy and wants to fight back or something even if you are a modeler or whatever…no they are not high rez models it’s less than 10k and u don’t know what i am working with, sub-d requires starting low before going high so you statement is false, second aesthetics or not having to use bad wireframes that you can’t tell which is in front and which in back is bad, selection is even worse,.

I’m pretty sure that cube has near to 24k polys and 50k triangles. Because a 12k triangles cube is this.

And the orc head surely have more than 50k triangles. Nobody works in wireframe with that meshes, because it’s no-sense.

1 Like

you shouldn’t make assumption if you don’t know the exact stats…the cube is 6.144 faces and sphere is even less which i was referring to, they are sub-d models…the orc head is the one on high-rez level, since it’s a sculpted one then zremeshed…people work with 100 up to 200k models if you didn’t know.

My 6144 faces cube have near to 30 edges length, your 6144 faces cube have near to 60 edges length… :rofl:

But I understand you error. You need to know how to use wireframe mode to realize the error.

I’m starting to think I may have gotten some terminology mixed up in my previous requests for non-anti-aliased wireframes.

I see that enabling the Wireframe overlay works great (non-anti-aliased)

Going to Wireframe display mode works great (non-anti-aliased)

However, while in Solid display and going into Edit Mode, the wireframe? Edge outline? Are anti-aliased. These are the ones I look at while modeling, and the ones I would love to be non-anti-aliased.

The build I downloaded on February 7th (9c68ac0448b6) has exactly what I want.

I know ya’ll are in bugfix mode, and colored wireframes are coming (which look great!), but I hope this is on the roadmap.

Thanks

1 Like

I was thinking today as I was looking at the wireframe meshes not in edit mode …
instead of having noisy lines, would not it be better to have lines with points and small segments spaced out precisely to represent the lines in the background?
as well as the technical drawings are shown …
Honestly, I think that you would get a much more aesthetic effect and at the same time less noisy and chaotic …

2 Likes

Yes, a dotted line would be great for occluded lines. The ones right now look too blurry.

Please, let the COLLECTIONS define the wireframe color!!

2 Likes

AFAIK override system that most likely will be in 2.81 will allow that.

2 Likes

Doing that would require to render the meshes twice. Which is a no-go for performance.
If you don’t like noisy patterns just turn the Xray slider to 0.

2 Likes

now I understand…
I thought it was something feasible without affecting performance

+1 I feel exactly the same regarding the edit mode wireframe. During modelling I’d love to have classic old fashioned aliased wireframes. This helps to see what is going on much much better. I hope this is something that can be done :slight_smile:!

I think even better would be a toggle in the preferences. This way users can decide for themselves either aliased or anti-aliased wireframes. However I can imagine that this might be a little too big of a task related to the current schedule towards the 2.80 release.

3 Likes