Blender 2.8 Wireframes Discussion

this is what I imagined useful, z-depth…
a way to represent the depth of the vertices and edges with a gray scale

geez what’s with the attitude kid!! stop being defensive no need for it and no one is making judgement here because my statement was in general and not direct to you but you seem very edgy and wants to fight back or something even if you are a modeler or whatever…no they are not high rez models it’s less than 10k and u don’t know what i am working with, sub-d requires starting low before going high so you statement is false, second aesthetics or not having to use bad wireframes that you can’t tell which is in front and which in back is bad, selection is even worse,.

I’m pretty sure that cube has near to 24k polys and 50k triangles. Because a 12k triangles cube is this.

And the orc head surely have more than 50k triangles. Nobody works in wireframe with that meshes, because it’s no-sense.

1 Like

you shouldn’t make assumption if you don’t know the exact stats…the cube is 6.144 faces and sphere is even less which i was referring to, they are sub-d models…the orc head is the one on high-rez level, since it’s a sculpted one then zremeshed…people work with 100 up to 200k models if you didn’t know.

My 6144 faces cube have near to 30 edges length, your 6144 faces cube have near to 60 edges length… :rofl:

But I understand you error. You need to know how to use wireframe mode to realize the error.

I’m starting to think I may have gotten some terminology mixed up in my previous requests for non-anti-aliased wireframes.

I see that enabling the Wireframe overlay works great (non-anti-aliased)

Going to Wireframe display mode works great (non-anti-aliased)

However, while in Solid display and going into Edit Mode, the wireframe? Edge outline? Are anti-aliased. These are the ones I look at while modeling, and the ones I would love to be non-anti-aliased.

The build I downloaded on February 7th (9c68ac0448b6) has exactly what I want.

I know ya’ll are in bugfix mode, and colored wireframes are coming (which look great!), but I hope this is on the roadmap.

Thanks

1 Like

I was thinking today as I was looking at the wireframe meshes not in edit mode …
instead of having noisy lines, would not it be better to have lines with points and small segments spaced out precisely to represent the lines in the background?
as well as the technical drawings are shown …
Honestly, I think that you would get a much more aesthetic effect and at the same time less noisy and chaotic …

2 Likes

Yes, a dotted line would be great for occluded lines. The ones right now look too blurry.

Please, let the COLLECTIONS define the wireframe color!!

2 Likes

AFAIK override system that most likely will be in 2.81 will allow that.

2 Likes

Doing that would require to render the meshes twice. Which is a no-go for performance.
If you don’t like noisy patterns just turn the Xray slider to 0.

2 Likes

now I understand…
I thought it was something feasible without affecting performance

+1 I feel exactly the same regarding the edit mode wireframe. During modelling I’d love to have classic old fashioned aliased wireframes. This helps to see what is going on much much better. I hope this is something that can be done :slight_smile:!

I think even better would be a toggle in the preferences. This way users can decide for themselves either aliased or anti-aliased wireframes. However I can imagine that this might be a little too big of a task related to the current schedule towards the 2.80 release.

3 Likes

It is great to see colored wireframes in Blender! Thank you :). Now, I have an additional feature suggestion to add an option of per-collection color mode.

blender_GNXKJ2i8LC

I have also created a suggestion on right click select:

7 Likes

It’s already on their Todo list for 2.81 or so I think. Pablo mentioned this in the last “blender today” Livestream

5 Likes

I swear that during one of the recent builds ( about 2 /3 weeeks ago ) , 2.8 had the original 2.79 wireframe back , me verryy happy
I now just downloaded the latest build (54ffc4e19dc4) , and the thick edges are back :frowning:
What are the developers up to ,?

1 Like

Yeah, I saw that too.
Was probably a “happy bug” that unfortunately got fixed. :frowning:

2 Likes

Don’t you refer to that we can change the aa of wire in the preferences??

Are you saying that it is currently possible? Where is this setting, because believe me, I’ve looked everywhere.

Sorry, i see that wireframe is good but when you dont edit the mesh. I suppose that we need to wait sometime to complete @fclem?