Tool shortcut keys

These are different tools and operators, they work differently.
Tools have their own hotkeys, see tooltips.

2 Likes

They shouldn’t though. Blender suffers already enough tool duplication as is. No need to add even more. The new tools can do everything the legacy transform tools can, so the legacy ones should be completely removed, and the “tweak” mode should simply be a mode of the new transform tools. So instead of GRS keys triggering the old transform tools, they should trigger the new transform tools in their “tweak” mode. It would feel the exact same way as it does now, but under the hood, the tools would not be duplicate, and you would also see them changing and highlighting on the new toolbar.

10 Likes

At the very least I think we should have a keymap preference to make the tools work this way, to use the standard hotkeys to switch active tools.

4 Likes

Removing the core tools would also remove the active tools, since they only work by calling the core tools under a non-blocking modal operator.

Active tools aren’t replacing or duplicating anything. They are designed to facilitate modeling with one hand - not for keyboard and mouse superusers.

1 Like

Agreed 100%…

hotkeys are not to change the active tool, is to activate classic way of work. I don’t see why if I press S instead of scale I must to change the active tool.

By logic and visual coherence. I think most of us handle ourselves visually. If I activate a tool, I want to know everything I can do with that tool, and how do I know? because the graphical interface shows it to me and this corresponds to a shortcut. All the programs, not only 3D, show the active or selected tool and a panel to modify it. In the new philosophy of Blender 2.8 is to facilitate its understanding, user vs graphical interface.

1 Like

[Spacebar, S] - activates the Scale Tool, and it will be displayed on the panel
[S] - performs scale operator, once, the selected tool remains unchanged
it’s two different things

Then you destroy classic and fastest workflow…

1 Like

As someone who uses a mix of hotkeys and widgets depending on exactly what I want to do, I would quite like it if there was a third way of working:

[s] - performs scale operator once, AND switches active tool to scale, so once I’ve finished my scale I have the scale widget right there to make any adjustments.

2 Likes

are you kidding or are you serious?

the new method will also be more intuitive for beginners but is boring and slow like a turtle …
do not try to remove the legacy mode, or you will find a fleet of powerusers to declare a war

not at all …
at the moment I’m getting used to using both methods depending on the convenience …

the only thing that is boring, for those who come from the classic way, is that if I activate a new active tool and at the end of the operation then I press “esc” this does not disable and makes me return a “selecting mode zone”

this is the only thing that I find slow and annoying … using the keyboard a lot, going to deactivate a tool by manually click with the mouse the select or cursor tool is very slow

Just read a bit before you respond. As I wrote, the toolbar transform tools are capable of performing the “tweak” operation, so the legacy ones would only be removed as long as the new ones can do exactly the same thing. So in the keymap editor, you could map a key not only to switch to a new move tool, but also to immediately activate its tweak mode. In the end, it would be indistinguishable from the old behavior.

On a sidenote, I can’t wait when 2.8 is done, everyone gets used to it and the dust settles down a bit. Just so I can go back and poke fun at all those backwards people defending and justifying ridiculous things like file save confirmation pop up, and such. One would think such people, who start to scream as soon as anything changes, even if it’s clearly for the better, have learned their lesson already from the 2.49 to 2.5 overhaul, and would realize that their hilarious justifications of outdated workflows remain on the internet to be laughed at forever :slight_smile:

1 Like

I read you well before answering you …
and I’ll tell you no …
legacy mode has far deeper methods of operation than you think using key pressure combo … “like a combo of street fighter” just to make a comparison metaphor …
and these would all be broken …
for example you know that if you select a couple of polygons and press in sequence “s” “x” “-” “1” you get a fast mirror on x axis … and if you change the last two to “-” “2” this is a doubled remote mirror? …

and so on … there are many methods established over the years … to which users of blender classic way are accustomed …

The same nonsense said some of the 2.8 wireframe, topbar, default toolbar… and many discarded ideas.

what I see clearly is that there is a fleet of newbie who does not know at all the complexity of philosophy use of blender focused on getting results productiivly as quickly as possible, they believe we are making futile oppositions to “progress” as funboys.

they did not understand at all, that they are basically trying to bring a well-articulated program to a very productive and fast use possible, to a flat and superficial use as their newbie use.

I think that some users prefer to destroy other users workflow with gaining nothing, only to have a more easy to understand tool.

1 Like

I know well … and many of these come from other applications and are used to them and that use … and therefore not knowing the depth of blender that was already well organized to work at best, they quietly trample this workflow for ignorance …

Of course, that’s why I clearly said when 2.8 is finished. Of course there will be iteration and testing out of ideas. Or would you be happier if they always used the very first idea they got, and considered it final?

1 Like

Yes, the EXACT same thing happens with the new tools. Just select move tool in the toolbar, hold down left mouse button, and then press all those hotkeys you mentioned, and you will see it works the exact same way. What I proposed is that you could choose if the hotkey just switches to the tool, or directly activates it. I have no idea what’s so hard to understand about my “it would be indistinguishable from the old behavior” statement.

To me, it appears that the main problem here is your lack of understanding how the transform tools on the new tool system work combined with hostility towards learning new things.

1 Like