Let's talk a bit about the new File Browser 2.81

https://developer.blender.org/rBadfe68e2025b6d85312361a3d1b4d1397c1ce2a9

https://developer.blender.org/rB5e2f0adb1b9c8df45e00be579e20144b3972b53b

Slowly getting there. :snail: :smile:

1 Like

@julianeisel Is this flickering/refreshing in the main area of the file browser intentional?

This only happens when I exit the top text field. The search and the bottom fields they donā€™t trigger this effect.
Sounds like a bug?

While not a big issue, this is easy to fix/avoid. Committed ac15bf1646.

4 Likes

Whoa, that was fast. Thanks.

2 Likes

If you take a look at the tasks I linked to earlier, you will see that these changes have been planned for a while, some of them even since months. I.e. see T69652, T62971#732734.

Unfortuntatly some are much harder to address than it may seem, and there are many things that are higher priority (e.g. there were many regressions caused by changes we had to do in rather instable places in the source code). Just check the reports of my last three weeks (since the file browser merge) to see why things are moving slowly.

3 Likes

Cool.

But you know what would be also cool? On Windows, the open dialog have that extra preview panel on the right, that displays the selected image etc, in a larger size.

How about something like that in Blenderā€™s file browser?

Untitled-2

That would be nice. :smiley:

9 Likes

Iā€™m not specifically a fan of that ā€œOptions | Previewā€ button row, but perhaps just placing the preview at the top and letting you scroll down (if necessary) to the options would be a good idea. Maybe make the preview collapsable.

4 Likes

not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but creating a new folder is a bit fiddly with the confirmation dialog coming up under the cursor.

That button is pretty small, not sure we need a confirmation dialog at all, chances are more often than not people wouldnā€™t be pressing it by accident.

3 Likes

Plus, creating something new isnā€™t a destructive action, so a confirmation is really unnecessary.

2 Likes

very annoying thing is when u save imageā€¦ each time u have to click options and after that u move miceā€¦ to choose file formatā€¦ very bad workflow.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s why the confirmation popup was removed in the new File Browser.

1 Like

I always take the risk of using latest blender in my production. Today I thought why not include a button in the save menu to pack textures in it. Currently itā€™s on another place but people think or regret about it at the moment of saving.

This is a nice change, now its getting more balanced, this new position brings back (kinda) the go up option as it was before and as a bonus adds more vertical space to the bookmarks and recent tabs on the left.
:+1:

4 Likes

yes, but I find this line doubling disturbing

I just wanted to bring the details of the dates closer to the names, currently not possible in other ways than to tighten the window ā€¦ ā€¦ and I discovered this ā€¦

I think it should collapse so the search bar disappears and the search icon gets integrated into the right side of the file path bar, and clicking the icon turns the bar into the search bar while typing text (it switches back when deselected/defocused).

1 Like

It is possible now with double click folder open has ability to click once and start typing to jump to corresponding folder of the same name just like it works in windows file browsing? I use it a lot that I click just some folder press lets say ā€œELā€ and it would select me first folder starting with letters EL

1 Like

The new version of the top left button position improvement is more reasonable than before.
But the file name input box and the save button are too far away, which is not convenient.
I think the file name is very reasonable after the path is placed, and the save button is closer.
You can add two PIE menus, which will make the operation faster.
Also hope to increase the image preview function

1 Like

@julianeisel If I try to close Blender while the File Browser is open, the Close Dialog shows up behind the File Browserā€¦

Bug/limitation?

4 Likes

Yes, it was implemented as an overlay before the floating windows. Now it should be reimplemented as another one.

1 Like

Interesting. It might be necessary to just close all temporary windows (file browser, preferences, etc) when the confirm-quit dialog is invoked. Would there be bad consequences from doing so?