Interactive CAD

i watched a video for a new free CAD tool built for iPad specifically and called (shapr3d) … then i thought we might have even something more better for blender specially with its new UI in 2.8 ,
how about integrating CAD modeling as a basic hard surface modeling layout , but with few differences from other CAD or traditional modeling :slight_smile:

• its totally based on curves … which we might use later to build a node system like “grasshoper” in interactive mode … and build a huge library of only curves and nodes with parametric modeling …
    it’s much easy and fast to control with curves like in CAD software than traditional tools…

-if there are some UI tools it have to be interactive on the 3d view, without the need to do 2d sketches first … this way is much faster and u may see that in shapr3d app already …

• with the ability to create new tools and extensions require it to have a default layout, instead of general one we can replace it with this actually …

• that will make a huge difference with blender for all 3d users … :slight_smile:

5 Likes

is this?

5 Likes

yes … and here is the link to there fb :slight_smile:

by an opinion from a cad modeller, what about … the approach adopted in this software is even simpler and immediate and revolutionary than moi 3d … very intriguing …

blender with this approach would be an atomic bomb

7 Likes

glad to have your attention … hope that some of the developers agree with us :slight_smile:

that’s what i like to see in 3D modeling tools, everything at your finger-tips, very intuitive.

2 Likes

Most CAD programs like shap3r and SolidWorks use Parametric Modeling, which works completely different from the mesh-based workflow in Blender. I would love some more CAD-friendly features, but the mesh-based workflow is more appropriate to the sort of artistic work that the devs prioritize.

4 Likes

actually most complicated hard surface modeling that include decorations and so … are made inside of rhino (CAD software ) … used by artists the most …

Blender don’t use these types of surfaces, but could be great to have it someday.

1 Like

It’s not about the type of surface but about the philosophy, tools accesibility and overall easyness of use.

3 Likes

Well, if I remember this type of surfaces are nurbs or similar. You cannot do this type of operations/accesibility without the surface.

1 Like

Youre partially right, but look at Sketchup - it’s not a surface modeler, but the paradigm is similar and lets you make concept hard surface models faster and with more precision than you’re able with Blender.

4 Likes

I will try sketchup, but maybe implement this phylosophy are more complex that implement surfaces tools? and Ton is against that blender have cad tools.

1 Like

There were scripts that made some of Sketchup functionality avaliable in Blender 2.7x. I hope they’ll be ported to 2.8x when it gets official release. The Destructive Extrude is a must-have!

2 Likes

it is in a large part a work of Boolean operations with a more interactive approach of using visual tools it is not necessary to use nurbs …

2 Likes

I don’t see how to mix all that options with the actual paradigm in blender. Maybe with modifiers or nodes…

1 Like

maybe with everything nodes will be more easier to assemble in instruments like this … at the code level

1 Like

its not heavy at all with the suitable optimization … try rhino … its runs smoothly with a ton of building even on low end devices …also shapr3d is made for iPad … not a mac or a PC … and it can handle BIM smoothly …
it actually might be more efficient than surface for render … and view-port of course …

2 Likes

I talked about the work to implement, not the perfomance.

1 Like

i think it should has its own layout room … by the way its control point curves not NURBS curves