Improved tool cursors

translation difficulties. I was not going to offend anyone. and joked a little

yes, of course

Not, it is really simple question. One real reason to remove the same cursor that use 3 of the 4 main modeling programs in the world (Maya, Max, Blender and Modo) that nobody have complain and we can’t find any problem searching in google about that cursor.

To remove a cursor that no one has complained about in 10 years and that the major modeling programs use it… you have to give some reason. At least to explain why you want to force all users to do what you want.

2 Likes

Ok then forget about it.

+1000

A rare case, but possible. The cursor overlaps visibility more strongly.
The cursor is not centered. it is not always convenient.
Screwed a hammer to a sniper rifle

it sounded insulting even from
Perhaps you are old enough to understand that opinions are different and the only true is rare. This is not the case.
It could just be an option. But you have to suffer and prove.
The tool ALREADY was, but just took and broke.
But are you right. there is always b2.79 - 2.82 for modeling

4 Likes

Blender can select vertices by distance, and cross allow to guess that distance visually for any direction.
Very handy for dense meshes.

4 Likes

I didn’t say the question is complicated. I said the “real” reason is located in the mindset of the person in charge.
If you ask the rest of us then it’s a mix between guessing and telling you our own opinion.

I personally am not keen having the clicking hotspot for different tools switching, cause that adds complexity to a repetitive task where its simply does not help. That’s why companion icons are a superior solution to my view in many cases. I wouldn’t mind to have pref to switch the default mouse generally to a crosshair in blender for users who prefer that. I don’t have a problem with the crosshair itself. Continuity in the clicking behaviour is the main argument for minimizing variance here.

Ok yes rare case and the cursor is a moving target. And visual memory has some time before it fades.

Admiring visual memory and flashes is rather strange when you have real eyes.
according to this logic, you can work without an undo (no need to cancel - you can just do everything right right away)

It is not a strange case, is a normal case everyday…

6 Likes

I don’t admire visual memory. Even if I am happy that I have it. :upside_down_face: I am just careful before I formulate some ms when a moving element overlays something as a severe problem.

I somehow understood the problem better before I looked at that image.

I think that this problem are easy to see why it must to be a crosshair. The selection point is not in the arrow direction.

8 Likes

this can only be a joke :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Wow, you look really concerned about this topic)
Don’t like industry standards?
Of course, not all of them are perfect, it can be understood, I also don’t like most of them,
but devs put a lot of efforts to bring them to 2.8x

Can someone put a “legacy mode” setting in the preferences, so the conservatives can stop spamming the forums please?
Otherwise the nonsensical posting will never end. :roll_eyes:

This thread should be closed.

What conservatives? millions of 3dsmax and modo users? Now we show that arrow have a clear problem and broke the UX the thread must be closed because potato.

2 Likes

ThinkingPolygons, do not go into this topic. This is not difficult.
There was a holy war on the topic “eliminate crosshairs” ?!

Maybe let innovations be “legacy”, and not well-established simple things.

1 Like

Basically, we faced with two different approaches of organizing a toolset interaction -
3dsmax and Sketchup.
Well, okay, let 3dsmax approach be called “legacy” and Sketchup approach - “innovative”.
Both are existing for a pretty much long time though.

1 Like

In resume

Pros of the arrow

• Is the normal cursor when you use the internet browser

Cons:

• Doesn’t work with blender selection behaviour
  • Hide items that you go to select
  • less precise
  • broke UX of blender
  • Not show the edit mode change
  • change between OS
  • Not keep the industry standard of main modeling software (Modo, Max, Blender)
1 Like

quick ideas

Cursor

3 Likes

Relax people, too much testosterone around here…no point in going into heated debates over a simple mouse cursor. leave you feedback which probably theonly thing that would actually help ,other stuff will only make you look immature.

And FYI there is no one standard, multiple softwares do things differently including Blender so there are few with the crosshair while the others with the default OS.

3 Likes