The GSOC coding period has officially come to an end as of this week and I have posted my final report over on the wiki. I apologise for the lack of a report last week, I spent the entire week working on a foundation for better multi-object edit mode and decided it was best to wait for more feedback about the build that I posted before making a report.
This report contains a list of various bug fixes and additions I have made as a result of feedback about last week’s build as well as a new build for testing. I will also discuss the plan going forward.
End of Coding Period
Now that the official coding period has come to an end I will no longer be implementing any new features. My plan now is to spend some more time fixing any further bugs / minor improvements given as feedback about the latest build. I am going away on holidays this upcoming week and so will be slow to respond until after I return.
I will also discuss further with my mentor about continuing work on a better multi-object edit mode as well as beginning the process of merging my changes into master.
The new build of my branch
soc-2021-knife-tools is now available on: Blender Builds - blender.org
Patch notes since the previous build are outlined below and once again I would appreciate it if you shared any feedback you may have about this latest build on my feedback thread.
- Angle Snapping Improvements
- “Local Angle Snapping” renamed to “Relative Angle Snapping”
- Relative Angle Snapping now works with existing mesh edges
- Fixed bug where it did not work with rotated objects
- Caused by custom knife BVH code
- Input snapping increment multiple times via number keys
- Cannot input numbers with decimal point, this can be done with the value exposed in knife tool settings
- Use alternate edges for Relative Angle Snapping
- Current edge is highlighted in yellow
- Press ‘R’ to cycle between edges
- Angle measurement’s are always drawn to currently selected edge
- New Knife Tool Settings
- Select between default angle snapping modes of None, Screen or Relative
- Select between default measurement modes of None, Both, Distance or Angle
- General Improvements
- Depth checking mode renamed to “X-ray”
- Press ‘V’ to activate
- ON/OFF make more sense now
- Better Multi-Object Edit Mode
- New custom Knife BVH is in use
- Lays the foundation for cutting across multiple objects in multi-object edit mode
Alternate edges for relative angle snapping (cycling through edges using ‘R’)
New tool settings