My main focus this week was to merge master into the gsoc-2018-many-light-sampling branch. There were only a few places where there were difficult conflicts, but I managed to get it compiling and running on Wednesday. Then my focus became rendering tests and reading through the code from the 2018 project to make sure everything is merged correctly and still working. This is a little challenging because the project from GSoC 2018 wasn’t complete. I have found a few places where I needed to update the 2018 code, but I think there are still more:
- Using the light tree seems to give a result that matches a ground truth reference with less noise in some places, but more in others.
- Disabling the light tree seems to work as expected for distant lights, but not for mesh lights.
I’ve mostly been using the classroom demo scene to test since it has multiple light sources, however, I think I will need to make my own test scene at some point specifically to check that the light tree is reducing noise when there are many lights.
Next week I will continue reading through the 2018 project and looking for bugs introduced by the merge.