GSoC 2020: Production Ready Light Tree - Weekly Reports

Can’t wait for your work to finish and see a comparison of, for example, 30m with and without your optimizations of my scene. :stuck_out_tongue:

Week 10:
I spent the first few days this week getting splitting to work for volumes. As far as I can tell it is working, but the code is kind of a mess. I spent the rest of the week working on cleaning up the light tree code and looking at a bug that Brecht found while testing GPU rendering on my branch. Basically the fishy cat is slightly darker even when the light tree is disabled. Every other scene that I’ve tested seems to work as expected so I’m not really sure what’s going on here.

Next week I will continue cleaning up the light tree code and debugging the fishy cat scene.

11 Likes

Week 11:
This week I was trying to fix a git problem where I must have done something wrong at the beginning of the summer. I had to create a new branch and redo all of the changes so see the branch soc-2020-production-ready-light-tree-2 for my most up to date code. I was hoping that bringing the code up to date would help the fishy cat bug, but unfortunately it didn’t. I spend the rest of the week working on finding and fixing that bug, but I can’t seem to make any progress. I have not even been able to narrow it down at all. My code does pass all the cycles render tests when the light tree is off still. This makes me think that there might be many small problems none of which make any difference on their own.

Next week I plan on continuing to clean the code up and start documenting what I did this summer. I know I had some trouble getting started this summer because I wasn’t sure what had already been done so I’m going to do my best to make sure whoever works on this code next doesn’t have the same problem.

14 Likes

Thank you for the amazing work!!!

1 Like

Week 12:
This was my last week. I spent it cleaning up my code. Mostly this involved removing code that was no longer used, but I also had to add a few comments. This week I also submitted my code for review here since this is the last week.

8 Likes