Please leave feedback in this topic: GSoC 2020: Outliner Discussion and Suggestions, thanks!
Week 1: June 1 - 6
This first week is already off to a great start:
Created design task to show progress of subprojects https://developer.blender.org/T77408. I have also listed the smaller issues and papercuts I hope to fix this summer on the design task.
Last September I started a patch to cleanup outliner selection. I started from scratch on Monday and now the patch is awaiting review (this will go in master to fix an issue). https://developer.blender.org/D5817. Already committed the patch to my
Started work on the first task, Mode toggling and Activation Column https://developer.blender.org/T68498. Currently activation of scenes, collections, and cameras works from a new left column in the outliner. When in edit mode, you can also use the left column to toggle objects in or out of edit mode.
Next Week’s goals:
- Add support for pose mode toggling to the column, and other fixes.
- Currently the column selection code is not ideal because I ran into a small UI button issue. Once resolved, I will cleanup that code.
- Remove data activation and mode toggling on outliner selection in favor of the column.
- Continued selection cleanup in preparation for properties editor tab switching.
- Fix https://developer.blender.org/T71812 once the selection cleanup is in master
- Make a design task for context menu improvements.
- 1 or 2 smaller tasks.