I started last Saturday by fixing a small issue mentioned by @dfelinto . It ended up taking about 4 hours of single-stepping through the
outliner_tree.c code to change one line. But I now understand how the tree is stored and created, so that’s nice.
- Fix to open scene elements by default in scenes view (a3448a9eef60)
- Add an active outliner element highlight to themes (b2a716e033d0)
- Add active element to outliner (3bedf7231927)
- Utils functions to return active element in outliner and one to determine if a given element is visible in the outliner (for range select) (fda3351c8827) and (558679a19ea3)
- Modified the keymap to make range select more intuitive.
ctrlis for extend selection and
shiftis for range selection.
- Added range selection (94be4ea6cf42)
- Click and drag from the gutter to box select (155cb8505c12)
Currently these changes are only focused on improving the experience of selecting items in the outliner in preparation for synced selection. For the remainder of this week I will refine the box select tool and add walk navigation. I’m on schedule so far, and everything is going smoothly. My only regret so far is not keeping in contact with my mentors as much as I would like to. I’ll improve on that next week.
Next week I will begin the synced selection. The current plan is to add a functions to the outliner and 3D view to be called after any selection occurs, then to send the selection state from one editor to the other to keep them in sync.