This week was definitely a huge learning experience for me. I’m getting more comfortable with the bevel code and how to work in it, and as I learn more I can make changes faster. I’m trying to approach everything carefully at this point; I’m writing a lot, whether it’s just thoughts, plans, or questions. I think this will help keep my plans solid in the future.
Here are some tasks I completed this week:
- I learned how to pass information from the bevel modifier properties into the bevel code
- I got linear sampling of custom profiles working
- Basic editing of custom profiles now works in the modifier UI.
- I accumulated a lot of notes about how bevel works and about the changes I will need to make.
- I started to lay out plans of how I will tackle the first simpler bevel cases.
Although I’m realizing that some of the assumptions I made in my proposed schedule are incorrect, I think I’m making good progress and I’m on track. I didn’t expect to have a mostly working interface in the first week. On the other hand, I’m still feeling the race against time a bit, because I know things will come up that will take more time than I think (changing the profiles to be built all at once instead of in symmetrical parts, building ADJ patterns with custom profiles, etc…).
By the end of next week I hope to either have my first simple bevel case working, or a more functional drawing of the profile widget completed.