Global topbar conflicts with multiple editors layout

Sticky windows are kinda against the blender philosophy of no-overlap-anywhere but I agree with dynamic popups that open and close depending of your commands.

Could you explain a few more? I donā€™t know if you talk about old t-shelf o new t-shelf.

I thought so too ā€¦
but Iā€™m maturing the idea that in the end they are functional

Well I agree with popup windows but they should follow a few conditions.

• They all can be open with keystrokes
  • They close if you take the mouse off
  • They should be scrollable
  • They are contextual and change depending on mode and tool
  • They should be predictable
1 Like

this ā€¦ more or lessā€¦

Yes! This! but, on any active tool and takes the settings of the topbar so, we can get rid the weird tool settings in properties editor.

But that is similar to actual popover :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

yesā€¦
in fact ā€¦ my idea is that they continue to improve the pop over, and at this point the add-ons become icons - ā€œtoolsā€ that recall these ā€œwindowsā€.

when you will see the column layout in the popoover you wouldnā€™t want that popover.

Improving on your suggestion, I guess that would really work!
and also looks quite clean when blending with the theme colors.

1 Like

I donā€™t see it a good solution, all time seeing popovers over the screen. I see it like a complement to a classic t-shelf. Not for me, but for new users this popovers are hard to discover.

A big gear that clearly suggests ā€œSETTINGSā€ is hard to discover?
Also, it wouldnt stay open all the time, it would work like the popovers from the topbar.

not pop-ups but if they were windows, it would be much better, so I could fix them, close them, or temporally resize etc (in practice they would be like windows of a desktop, but that emerge only in the area of work)

1 Like

I dont like this Idea, popups could be resizable and movabble but I guess desktop windows makes it a bit odd, if they were openGL windows inside the viewport that collapse or dim-out if the nouse is not over then I agree.

not for all the tools, but only when necessary, often it happens to me that I need windows with fixed features, it takes little to become from popups to windows ā€¦ when the user deems it appropriate

obviously this is what I mean

1 Like

Oh then its fine, I am mostly concerned about overlaps like this:

1 Like

I thought so too, but recently with the use of blender 2.8 I changed my mind,
overlapping appears only if you want to make it appear ā€¦

But this is easily solvable. I mean, all programs have this issue solved since foreverā€¦
If only we could reach the devs taking care of itā€¦

Yes, and there are many distinct solutions proposed in this thread that would work equally well.

Iā€™m seeing a lot of extreme solutions here lolā€¦ when in fact nothing needs to changeā€¦