Decoupling x-ray and limit selection to visible

That’s one thing I had tried to add to kio’s work on this, the ability to select by face center without doing a select through. It was the last thing feature-wise I wanted to add, but couldn’t figure out yet. I’m pretty sure you could have a sort-of doable version of what you want that way.

I’m hoping to understand it better so I can get that working. 2.90 has introduced some performance issues that might inadvertantly force me to learn about this stuff enough to get that part done as well.

For now here is a (fully?) functional 2.83.6 with Select Through, updated the link in the other post from earlier, and got rid of the messed up one.
Blender 2.83.6.1 Select Through

Here’s a diff as well, first one I’ve tried so let me know
2.83.6.1 Select Through Diff

3 Likes

Hi yall, I started working on Blender as well as of a few weeks ago now and I also have been stunt by the lack of this feature, I have been working on Max and Maya for the past couple of years and can’t believe such a important option is missing. Also, I use the 2.90 version and I don’t quite know how to implement the patch you guys have created, would you know where I could get information about that ?

1 Like

For patching
https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Tools/Patches

For building blender
https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Building_Blender

2.90 patch from @kio thanks to @LudvikKoutny

If you want to download a full build instead

I recommend building and patching. If you want to add something else to blender besides select through you’ll be able to, and you’ll have some familiarity with doing it.

Keep in mind that at the moment 2.9 select through is 2-3x slower than x-ray select

1 Like

Thank you ! I’ll try to learn more about this subject then

Back to this topic agagin.
I try some software this week. I think cinema 4d’s selection may be the tools we want. it use brush selection as default selection(not pass through),and box select through.
I think it have a good use of both tool,and it fit our mind.

• We select few things when not using ortho view,so the brush selecet is enough.
  • On the other side, when we use ortho view ,it means that we have to select some point orderly

See what we got in blender : brush select is so hard to use(because it is different with the other select tools),which not allow to change view when select and use right click to confirm.

Since start of this thread, already 18 people have signed up just to post in it. We are getting way more complex to implement yet way less useful features in every release for almost two years now, yet the probably most requested feature keeps being ignored.

2 Likes

If some one don’t want to use patch for custom blender builds, you can use addon instead
posted by @Senna Box Select X-Ray

1 Like

That particular addon does not address majority of issues needed for smooth workflow. Only small fraction of them, so it’s not really an acceptable replacement for the patched build in any way.

what issues? I’m curious because dont know what to use now, addon or build with patch…

The script still uses face selection by dots, not face area, and edges are still randomly selected in multiple different way depending on what’s present inside the selection box. If you want a normal selection like any other 3D software, you want the patched version, not the script.

1 Like

It’s already implemented

X-Ray Selection Tool Addon

The real question is why can’t this feature be added at least as an experimental feature…

I just don’t get it…

It’s still has a design issue and probably no one has time for it, don’t forget we lost William who used to make all Blender’s UI/UX designs while iterating after each feedback, so now it’s on hold.

I’m sorry…What? may you explain a bit more?

Don’t worry, he just works at Unity now.

It’s very sad, I liked the way he answers our questions, suggestions and feedback on this and on the BA forums …

There are no design issues aside from those artificially invented by the development team. I am using the feature for at least half a year now in a custom build. It’s literally a single checkbox, and the “issue” is just disagreement about its placement. That’s not an issue, that’s just an excuse.

6 Likes

It’s an issue if it doesn’t fit with Blender’s paradigm,i am not going to repeat what’s said on the task…so go check it if you’re not convinced and with your kind of attitude no wonder no dev would take a serious look at it ,then remain happy with the custom build for as long as you wish ;).

I have at least 10+ posts under that task, and I have created this particular thread… 2 years ago. 2 years is more than enough time to figure out where to put one checkbox. Instead all we got is 2 years worth of excuses.

Blender’s paradigms is what actually brought us to this very sad situation. It’s nonsense paradigms like “you should never be able to select what you don’t see”, which don’t belong in the modern world of meshes with more than quadruple digit counts of triangles, that lead to many Blender artists wasting minutes or even hours every day finding Blender’s flawed and obsolete selection method.

So it’s not just a matter of if something fits certain paradigm, but also if certain paradigm is valid. If the primitive, paradigm centric opinion you have was applied universally, we’d still have things like materials and texture images being randomly deleted from your scene upon reloading it, because Blender once, in 2.79 days, had paradigm dictating that every unused datablock should be deleted when closing file, regardless how much time user spent making it.

3 Likes

I don’t get it. So his post, where he first takes is personal is not flagged, but mine, where I just reply in equally personal level does?