Call for Content: Workspaces

In 2.7 the arrangement of editors and areas was done via “screens”. In Blender 2.8, screens (now ‘layouts’) live inside a bigger category called ‘Workspaces’.

Even though Workspaces can be added and removed at any time, it’s important to ship Blender with a good set of predefined Workspaces with the most useful editors and settings at hand. That said, each Workspace should have a clear goal and a clean design. Focus on one task, don’t overwhelm the user with a dozen editors.

Predefined Workspaces

Below is a list of proposed predefined Workspaces that will ship with Blender. These represent the most common workflows used in movie-game making and general purpose.

Modeling

The starting point. Properties editor in Modifiers context. No Timeline,

Shading

Features a quick way to browse and preview textures, and drag-drop them in the Shader editor. Properties context is set to Material. This Workspace is in LookDev shading mode, this has to be discussed as it can be slow on heavy scenes.

3D Animation

After talking with animators, we came to the conclusion that they never have both Dopesheet and Graph Editor in the same window. If they do they’d use two windows on a different screen and for the graph editor. What they would do instead is toggle between the editors with a shortcut, which is something we are planning to implement soon. Something like Ctrl+Tab to swap Dopesheet/Graph Editor.

2D Animation

Designed by the Grease Pencil team.

UV Editing

The viewport is 50/50 split with the Image editor. Properties context is set to Mesh.

Texture Painting

Sculpting

Motion Tracking

Scripting

Compositing

Video Editing

Rendering

Extra Workspaces

These will show up when clicking on the “+” tab. This list includes Workspaces that are handy to have but very specific or not necessarily needed for all workflows. A bonus feature of Blender 2.8 Workspaces is that they can have their own add-ons! Allowing much more customization per

• Retopology
  • 3D Printing (with 3D Print Toolbox add-on enabled)
  • Hard Surface Modeling (with extra add-ons)
  • Motion Graphics (?)
  • Architecture (?)
  • Propose more!*

*If you need to have a discussion regarding one specific Workspace, please make a dedicated thread for it (or the comment will be split into its own discussion thread).

How to Share

Basically a screenshot is enough, but in order to make it easier to test and compare Workspaces you can also share the (empty) .blend file (PasteAll lets you upload small .blends).

• Use the latest 2.8 build
  • Use the default theme (go to File > Load Factory Settings)
  • Start with the default preferences (File > Load Factory Settings)
    • If you change certain settings for a specific workflow, please specify which settings you changed and why.
    • For example: “the Sculpting Workspace uses MatCap shading, instead of Solid.”
  • Factory startup, no extra models, no extra add-ons, nothing but the 2.8 default
  • Take a screenshot:
    • 1920x1080 (you can force the resolution by running ./blender -p 0 0 1920 1080)
    • No window decoration (go to Window > Toggle Fullscreen)

Test

There’s a nice feature in Blender 2.8 that allows you to save and test multiple Workspaces. Just setup your Workspaces, save the .blend as ‘workspaces.blend’ and put it in your config folder (next to startup.blend and userpref.blend). The next time you open Blender these Workspaces will be available when clicking the “+” tab. See this screenshot image on how to share

Example

A simple Workspace Screenshot

Cast Your Vote

Just like in the Call for Content: MatCaps, give the Workspaces you like the most a like (:heart: icon on the comment).

That’s it! Thanks for reading all the way down here, now bring on the Workspaces!
Pablo

1 Like

This is my suggestion for Video Editing.

10 Likes

Nice! I think it’s missing the N panel expanded to show the properties of the current strip (a sort of “Inspector”). Also the top-bar could be hidden in this Workspace.

2 Likes

and I’ve uploaded the timeline on top of the sequencer.

22 Likes

Sculpting

Also, I dont like how the shortcuts for A and Alt + A were changed, blender feels locked when I press A but its just that I cant toggle the selection anymore and thats ANOYING.

1 Like

Here’s my main workspace. The left side is used for reference images and a “quick view” of the object I’m working on. It works particularly well for sculpting and modeling.

You will notice that I keep the properties editor visible all the time. I find it useful to be able to switch between tabs. If I need to focus on just the model, I go back to the main 3d view and hit ctrl+up arrow

3 Likes

I had to post twice, because it wouldn’t let me upload more than one image -.-

This is my uv/materials workspace. The top left is used to see the final result of changes I make on the material. The bottom left is used for tweaking the model or the scene. Top right for the node setup and the bottom right for texture painting or uv tweaking. As stated above, I keep the properties window always available.

My suggestion for Scripting:

With the Outliner in Data API mode. I think it is essential to explore the structure and possibilities, to know more better the api of blender.

11 Likes

UV Editing

18 Likes

I think blender must have different work-spaces depends on count of monitors, that you have. How it can be: on the start screen you can chose how many windows you want to have: 1, 2 (or more?) and then blender setups default work-spaces depends of your chose.

My Take on Shading:
Edit: Withdrawn - the one by PVTR is so much better

3 Likes

My suggestion for modeling workspace, expecially when working on large project. I use it in architectural visualization project with a lot of props. Hope could be good for someone!

Maybe could be possible to add some usefull addon under the outliner if needed.

5 Likes
  1. Scripting: why everyone are putting scripting: text editor and python console in horizontal way!? It is far better to see the code in full height, and if you run something in python console it is nice to have feedback in many lines back what happened.
    Text and Console in Vertical! Side by side! Who’s with me? Are u with me? Are, u ,with me?

Rendering

• Two Properties Areas - one for settings, the other one for Color Management next to the Image Editor.
  • Properties Headers hidden
  • I rearranged some panels in the Properties to fit the Workspace better.
  • I imagine this being the "Workspace that opens when hitting F12 / F11 - so maybe there could be a “Back to Previous” Button in the Tabbar instead of the Workspaces Tabs (in case it is opened via F12 / F11 / Render Button)
12 Likes

People’s computer screens are usually horizontal panoramic not vertical…

1 Like

I like it. I’m thinking that could be usefull use a little space over or under the properties panel to add a 3dview area in camera mode so that is possible to see which camera is selected for render.

Sculpting with MatCap and Dynotopo.

4 Likes

UV Editing

workspaces.blend file

Currently the viewport shading is set to studio -> texture, I’m not sure if / how the 3d viewport supposed to show the UV-Image editor image for now.
I have basically everything distracting disabled from the overlay (axis, relationships, 3d cursor).
An alternative would be using the default material shading, showing seams has been activated.

Since it is related to UV-Editing I have also included a material property panel, this could also be handy to quickly apply an image opened in the UV editor to the material nodes.

I have also pinned all available UV tools, it’s hard to tell how much change would be needed when a proper UV icon toolbar is available.

Edit: I forgot do mention, that when it becomes available for 2.8 of course magic UVs addon should be enabled in this workspace.

2 Likes

Sculpting
Stuff on the right, since most people are right handed. :wink:

7 Likes

I dont think that there is a whole ton of room for originality here, but I hope this video editing work-space is useful, it has areas for files, preview, the sequencer, and most importantly, properties for the video settings and another side panel for the strip settings and modifiers (something that is often overlooked)

(although this screenshot doesn’t show it, the topbar is now hidden.)

(google drive link to .blend file)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OTi8jryQ6gk9VBmdxavMoNmDaeShXkLS

9 Likes