Blender user interface design

Yes, it is very confusing for new users. I thought blender 2.80 would make the outliner better in this regard but sadly it wasn’t the case.

Thank you guys for the answer! Hope it will be improved maybe after the 2.8, or I just will try to get used to work without outliner))) My colleague told me that he always worked in blender just in viewport, and before 2.8 you couldn’t even do anything in the outliner, you couldn’t rearrange objects, parent them and so on) At least now it’s better in 2.8)

3 Likes

@AlexanderKolyasa
I also had to get used to working without the outliner, I wish I could have a functional outliner.

Well, there could be at least “Shift” function (selects from first selected to the last) :disappointed_relieved:

4 Likes

you can use B key for the rectangle selection in the outliner. But yeah, I also think shift would be better

Yeah I mentioned this already a couple months ago.
To Implement Industry Standard shortcuts when interacting with lists of things in blender (including outliner, vertex groups list, shape keys list, etc):

Ctrl + Left-Click = add single to selection
Shift + Left-Click = add to selection everything in-between first to last selected including both.

At the time no dev replied… maybe this is more work than we imagine for 2.8. But let’s keep mentioning this, maybe for 2.81 and forward versions we will have it :slight_smile:
Also, a rightclickselect suggestion may go a long way.

(This is the post: Outliner suggestions - #2 by Evandro_Costa)

2 Likes

Hi @billrey, here is another proposition I missed to tell you in person on bconf :slight_smile: Clicking - selecting through gizmos: Proposition: Make Vertices Selectable again :D Right-Click Select — Blender.Community

3 Likes

i saw some proposal that you guys are going to add a heat preview for proportional editingheat
also means that the preview circle should be shown first before moving and not after so it works like loop cuts tool.

13 Likes

Because that mew T panel is “active tools” nonsense…

YES. This is how it is in other programs, too, right? Not 100% sure, but I seem to recall it being one of my first frustrations coming from Maya years ago.

2 Likes

I work with maya everyday and i cry everyday because of gizmos :cry:

2 Likes

This is brilliant! I proposed it to the team and I hope there is time before the beta to squeeze it in. Maybe there could be one for Viewer Node I guess? Maybe it’s too much. But Render at least should be there.

4 Likes

Seems the icons for the selection are inverted.

Also, the current option should use a freeze icon and it could be nice to have a select button to select by type visible in the viewport.

12 Likes

I have a few questions.

– Are you going to give the possibility to use the ctrl+scroll to scroll through the list of possible pivots like it is in 2.79 ?

– And why do you set the Normals menu (with Auto Smooth and double sided option) is closed by default ? It is a menu we use more often than the adding shape keys (or morph targets) menu.

– There is also a trick that makes the workflow slow, in the particle system, to succeed in finding how to change the default rendering by an object, you have to open several sub menus, you get lost easily.

– Why in the outliner, the default collection is closed by default ?

– Is there any possibility to use CTRL+Scroll to go to others tab ?

– Is it planned to reintegrate the “Stay clicked at the same time as moving” on the icons allowing to access the tool options, render, output, view layer, scene, world… ?(Like in 2.79)

2 Likes

Freeze can mean anything, freeze properties, materials, etc.

Fixed the icons being inverted, thanks for the heads up.

About using icons instead of checkboxes that’s more tricky. This is as far as I got:

Can’t seem to be able to fix the width issue (had to increase the popover size to 8), do you think you can help? You do crazy stuff in your add-on :] This is the simple diff, simply adding an icon to the row.prop.

4 Likes

I use this on Speedsculpt for example.

row = layout.row(align=True)
row.prop(WM, "show_lattice", text="Lattice", icon='TRIA_UP' if WM.show_lattice else 'TRIA_DOWN')

from this
To this

For the freeze, I mean, freeze the selection, not be able to select the type of object.
The current icon.

Replace the icon with a freeze icon and use the current icon for a selection button.

Like that we will be able to show/hide, select, freeze the objects by type.
I wanted to select all the visible lights to place them into a collection, but there is no button for that in Blender.
That’s why that could be really useful to have the option directly in this popover.

1 Like

I managed to do this with row.label, I’m using the wrong label though and I have no idea of what that should be instead :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes. The Normals pane should be open by default and preferably moved to the top of the Data properties tab. These settings are touched with almost every object I create or import into Blender. I also feel like autosmooth and doublesided are going to be used before anything else in this editor by most ArchViz and new users.

1 Like

Maybe move the selection icons to the right, otherwise the togglable icons are arround a non-togglable icon.

1 Like

Someone can throw a rock at me for a tangent and it is a can of worms in terms of conservationism, but there seems to be somewhat of a problem and I haven’t seen a more efficient solution anywhere as of yet. How about trying to improve drop-down lists (Modifier selection in particular) a little bit?

Namely - it is a common problem, that a list selection has more items than there are potential hotkeys, not mentioning first letters of list items repeating, resulting in need of individual keys to remember.
A solution I’ve seen proven fast and efficient is instead of instant hotkey execution, cycling the selection focus through items beginning with the letter pressed and using enter to execute.
At a glance it may seem like a complication - clicking drop down, pressing “S” four times to get focus to Subsurface for example, then pressing enter. But in practice it requires next to nothing of precious concentration and best of all - being a strong mnemonic, in just a couple of cycles gets into muscle memory without conscious effort, becoming almost as fast as unique hotkeys, while being much more universal, quicker to adapt and future maintenance free. If proven working, this might some day speed up other types of selection lists too.
Edit: existing keys can be preserved through +Ctrl, or vice versa.

Sorry if this is completely out of place, but it’s a too specific of a feature to post anywhere else. Thanks.

1 Like