Blender UI paper cuts

Is it possible to prevent undo from removing layers and materials you created in preferences?

Where this is most noticeable is when you’re trying to maintain a smooth and quick grease pencil workflow. In GP you tend to make and modify a lot of strokes, and in between make a number of materials and layers. It’s hard to remember the order you’re laying things down sometimes. If it were possible to have undo not touch materials and layers that the user created, it would be more predictable and prevent back tracking when you inadvertently delete materials or layers that you created. I would rather delete or modify materials and layers manually.

Is there a way to set undo to this that I’m not aware of? I could see this to be a useful setting in preferences if its not there already.

1 Like

It’s fine.
The header is there because it makes no sense to remove it in the few situations it doubles up on information. In the other situations, it provides useful information. For instance in other tabs you can see the active or pinned object, or if you’ve scrolled down past the data block widget you can e.g. see which material is active. Or higher up in tabs it displays which active view layer you’re on, near the passes and layer settings.

It would be nice if when dragging a .hdr or .exr image in the blender node editor I asked you if you want to create an enviroment texture or an image texture, since 99% of the time these two formats are used more for environment images.

I made this example mockup.

16 Likes

I am not sure if this is completely right here or if it ws proposed in the 1970 answers already but here goes: It’s always weird to me that the outliner does not allow for shift-clicking to select multiples.

The right-click/select items extra step is weird but not too bad. Selecting colums in a colum view IMO should work in a different way than by 3D view paradigms.

shiftClick

Especially with really many items in the outliner selecting can becom a very scollheavy, tedious and error prone task the way it is now.

17 Likes

The new Object Rename (F2) should have the mouse right/left click to confirm and cancel the operation, pretty much every popup menu and operations works like that. Is quite frustrating since we get used to this behavior and for that one thing now it does not work.

2 Likes

It seems it is not a developer priority, this has been discussed many times. I for one have stopped reporting paper cuts since they don’t take them into account.

4 Likes

I’m curious – What is the reasoning behind not implementing the Shift+LMB to select multiple items?

2 Likes

I’d say lack of dev power… there are too many papercuts and too few people working on them, therefore priorities must be assigned. I’d suggest start learning python then trying to fix it yourself and committing the changes to the devs. It’s faster to check work done by others, if its done according to the set rules, than do it yourself (in the case of the devs).

4 Likes

certain questions are mysteries of faith

Make Left Mouse Button default in dragging on timeline.

4 Likes

I do not agree, some already try to make the changes by themselves with the famous single column aligned to the right and improve it. Currently the most requested change by users at the interface level in RCS. And after trying to change it it ended up not wanting any change in the column … Not even try different ideas.

2 Likes

the outliner does not allow for shift-clicking to select multiples

Yep. The same thing in the file browser, and text fields. In all programs, Shift selects a sequence of consecutive elements (for example, photoshop layers panel) and expands the selection where there is no clear order of elements (for example, in the photoshop 2D viewport).

it seems it is not a developer priority, this has been discussed many times

It seems that developers believe that if in 3D viewport Shift expands the selection than elsewhere it should work the same way.

trying to fix it yourself and committing the changes to the devs

That’s a good point. But, there is nothing to fix. This behavior is by design. First, developers have to make a decision and create a design task, and only then you can start coding.

2 Likes

Look, if I had the ability to do or even propose code for it myself I wouldn’t just ask for it by description.

I obviously can’t, though, so telling me to “learn how to do it yourself” really isn’t helping but feels more like I can just refrain from posting, next time. Sorry, but the ‘do it yourself’ answer to me always feels a little insulting. :unamused:

1 Like

Look at my post history. I’m on a crusade against the horrible non-standard Outliner interaction paradigm, so you’re not alone. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I really hope you are wrong, and I’ve had at least one papercut fixed already (amongst the 50+ I’ve reported, but still), and @billrey has indicated that at least some of the others are under consideration.

Sadly, though, I’ve stopped reporting bugs, because most of them gets closed as feature requests, so this thread is my only hope now. Also, I don’t think the rightclickselect site works at all, so I don’t use it, which might be wrong by me, but that entire site is just a huge papercut…

4 Likes

Thank you. ^^
No need to give up hope. I love the whole ‘papercuts’ initiative really much and the participation in this thread shows how much people care about it, as well.

I also do think that there are already a lot of good ideas carried over to the task list with more and more coming. When I first found this diiscussion it had over 1900 answers already. That’s a LOT of noise to sift through for new proposals. Maybe, since this is such a huge deal in itself, it might justify a dedicated papercuts and optimization area like RightClickSelect?
Something where ideas can be collected and discussed individually while not getting lost so easy?
This might not need to be restricted to UI papercuts, either. Or do we have such a thing already?

You can click the “Summarize This Topic” button at the top, and the most liked comments will be shown, which eliminates a lot of noise. Also, I’ve seen some sub-discussions being split out already by enterprising mods, so I think (and hope) that this topic is alive and well and actually useful.

We’re approaching 2000 posts soon, and 2.8 still has a very, very long way to go.

3 Likes

Curve under “Color Management” -> “Use Curves”. A dot to the right gets partially covered by appearing scroll:
use_curves

11 Likes

A lot of the issues mentioned are not done yet, simply because of a lack of ressources and focus.

But you’ll also notice that the tasks in https://developer.blender.org/T56950 are getting addressed, one by one.

Special thanks to all the new developers helping out here.

Currently, Blender development has been following Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs. For the past many months, the main priority has been on making Blender stable. Now that things are stabilizing, and the Spring project is wrapping up, there may be space for another push to address UI issues before the 2.80 release.

But, also keep in mind that 2.80 won’t be the last release in Blender’s history. There will be other releases later on where more issues can be fixed or addressed.

Great things await.

13 Likes

Hi,

Thanks to all users and devs helping improving Blender ! It is becoming pleasantly stable and almost crash-free.
@billrey When you add a bunch more UI paper-cuts to the parent task list, do you mind including this one too ?
To help you set the task, here are the settings in Object Mode where such a direct input of numeric values could be useful:

• Curve (Extrude Size, Width Size)
  • Text (Extrude Size, Width Size)
  • Empty (Empty Draw Size)
  • Image (Empty Draw Size)
  • Light (Energy, Radius)
  • Camera (Camera Lens Angle, DOF Distance)
  • Force Field (Draw Empty Size)

Have a nice Spring Premiere :wink:

2 Likes