Blender UI paper cuts

Is there really a space between the properties button groups? Every time, first I search to find the space, and then I look for the button I want.
With bigger space it will easier to see the group, and find the button.

Even with color coding or different theme, I feel it will be better to be a little bigger. Maybe not so big like in the example, where I put twice the separator.

10 Likes

Add an option to change color to solid mode random color.

29 Likes

The fiesr thing i did in 2.8 was increasing the contrast of the theme (since my eyes are not the best and i have a rather small monitor). If you want, you can try my custom theme. Just minor changes compared to the default. Put it into:
home/.config/blender/2.80/scripts/presets/interface_theme

i_said_save_goddammit_.xml (39.9 KB)

and this is my pastel green theme based on the former one:

grinsegreen.xml (39.9 KB)

1 Like

Yes please. Colours are very helpful for distinguishing without looking at it and thus faster than what we have now. But imho it should be pastel rather than strong, and not just equally spaced hue but noticable changes from knob to knob. Colours are information. If we use them wisely, they won’t hurt our eyes or distract them from perceiving the object materials.
Here’s a color theme proposal:

Meshes can reset align via W-menu, Curves can’t:

!

Also Join and convert to

3 Likes

Could you put ctrl + tab back to be possible to select vertices, edges and faces just as easily as spacebar to is now optional?. This way I won’t be forced to create my own addon just for this. In addition this key combination remains compatible with 1, 2, 3

4 Likes

Honestly all I want is for it to be in the keymap, I’m fine if it defaults to disabled/deactivated, but so I won’t have to create it from scratch again. Not too big of a deal though. Also creating it as a pie menu right now has a bug where the options get drawn on top of each other. :pensive:

Btw it’s VIEW3D_MT_edit_mesh_select_mode for the name field for those who want to re-implement it for themselves, but as shown above wm.call_menu_pie has an issue so go with wm.call_menu instead.

Hi there,
I found some inconsistancy between panels on the “add a new material” button :
If I click on “add a new material” button on the properties panel, it makes a duplicate of the current material attached, with all the nodes, and I’m quite happy with that. If I click this same button on the node editor panel, it creates a totally new Principled BSDF material without any node attached. I don’t know if it’s a bug, but I found it inconsistant since this is the exact same button. Maybe there should be 2 buttons, one to actually add a new material, and one to duplicate the shading node network.
properties_vs_node_editor

7 Likes

Hello,

I model small objects and therefore I set the unit system to Millimeters and the unit scale to 0.001.

Currently, if I do a mathematical operation in a number field and if I don’t specify any units, it divides my input numbers by 1000.

Example with a field containing the value 4mm:

• 4mm+1 => 4.001mm
  • 4mm+1mm => 5mm
  • 4+1 => 5mm

It would make more sense if all three operations would equal 5mm.

21 Likes

There are no icons in the delete menu for vert, edges and face (should be for both delete and dissolve)

2 Likes

My kingdom for this!

I often cleanup meshes that were created with CAD or similar programs, and being able to see how much of something I have selected is super helpful.

Even though I don’t like having the properties panel open, I’ll take having this info there if that means easier readability.

O - toggles proportional editing

I suggest to this:

O - toggles proportional editing beetwen usual and connected
Alt + O - turns off proportional editing

2 Likes

The fps is not drawn in the preview(2.80):

In the VSE. The info about the following modal hotkeys are (at least) missing in the Status bar:

• While dragging playhead + Ctrl will snap the playhead to nearest cut.
  • While in Grab strip or handle/handles + Ctrl will snap to nearest cut.
  • While selecting a handle + Alt will also select the adjoined handle.
    • Alt will generally add value change to all strips.

(Maybe there are more info missing on hotkeys in the Statusbar? https://github.com/dfelinto/blender/blob/master/source/blender/editors/space_sequencer/sequencer_ops.c )

Btw. When Grabbing in the VSE most of the functions in the Statusbar are not valid:

1 Like

Backface culling is in overlay popover but its unrelated to overlays because it is renderer’s option (eg. Cycles don’t support it).

I think it should go to shading popover.

Edit: it have been changed

6 Likes

Papercut

When switching between scenes, blender does not remember the scene’s workspace. For motion graphics, when switching between VSE scene and Motion Graphic Scene, this can get quite tiresome.

Example below:

4 Likes

Try the built-in pie menu addon:

Hey guys, hope I’m posting in the right place.

A small UI Paper Cut would increase consistency in the UX. Everything related to selection in the UI and menus highlights in Blue. But the default themes selections in the viewport are Orange. The default theme should build on it’s consistency by having the Blue selections reflected even in the viewport and while modeling.

4 Likes

18 posts were split to a new topic: Preselection highlighting

Backface culling is not an overlay!!

There should be one backface culling in the solid shading menu and one backface culling in the lookdev shading menu.

1 Like

Hi everybody,
I’ve noticed that in Weight Paint mode there is something wrong with the rendering of the borders.
immagine

2 Likes