Blender UI paper cuts

I can confirm this as well. I’m on Linux and using mouse. The tab switches on release and if you move the cursor a few pixels after the click the tab won’t switch. It’s the same story with the properties tabs.

Is switching on release an intended behavior?

In 2.7 if move object to hiden layer, then this object also becomes invisible together with layer.
In 2.8 if move object to hiden collection, then this object does not become invisible together with collection, is still visible.
Maybe I need to write a bug report?
sorry for my english

1 Like

That does not happen actually. If you set the Collection to be hidden in the viewport (Screen icon), if you then drop an object in there, it will also become hidden.

I’m assuming you are using the eye icon, which is only per object, not per collection. This is more of a demonstration of the confusing UI is in the Outliner, and another example of why we should improve this area, probably by removing the eye icons from Outliner altogether - it’s simply so confusing that users think it’s a bug.

4 Likes

Yes you are right
I use not only the outliner, but also the popup menu Collections Visibility.

Right, well you are not wrong to bring this up. If we don’t make this area easier to understand or simply inherently simpler, many users are likely to be confused about this. I spent a lot of time with 2.8, and even I get confused about this still.

2 Likes

Fixed now:
https://developer.blender.org/rBa7f9b57983aa8ac5a52a611634aeaf6c8191d226

6 Likes

Papercut: Adding a new material slot should automatically create the base material.

Papercut: Creating material slots and assigning them an already existing material, should automatically make it an individual material.

Right off the bat, I don’t see any use for have duplicated materials, that update each other.

It used to do this at one point, but was removed because it creates an unused material whenever you want to assign an existing material instead.

6 Likes

But the existing material eventually goes away after restarting the file. I prefer to know that when I click the plus button, I immediately get a material, instead of having to click once again to get it.

1 Like

I believe I would prefer if the gear is not there messing the layout of the Shading Panel. I don’t think there’s a very good reason to have the gear there.
It could instead, have a ADD or Plus dropdown menu right below it for adding HDRI, MATCAP or CAM HDRI

I also believe the shadow options could be right below the shadow checkbox (if checked), instead of having it’s own popup.

6 Likes

Papercut: To enable Proportional Editing CONNECTED, by default one must open the submenu for proportional editing. I suggest having a double tap shortcut (‘O’) by default for activating it. This way, the workflow doesn’t get interrupted and speeds things up and, in a way, it doesn’t take “a shortcut” from the minimal keymap.

3 Likes

Speaking of Proportional Editing…

The top of this image shows Snapping On, Proportional Off. Then Snapping Off, Proportional On. Clearly the ON/OFF states are not being communicated similarly on those two.

The bottom of the same image shows how it could look, with these two things having consistent look and behavior. The only big change is we’d have to move the “Projected” and “Connected” options as checkboxes to the bottom of the falloff menu.

Also altered the widths so they are the same as other widgets of similar type.

18 Likes

Yes, we actually wanted to make that change during the Code Quest, but didn’t have time.

3 Likes

Color Selection wheels

In the color selector window it’d be cool if the sliders (R/G/B & H/V/S) would be loop-able.
Especially with the HSV I often like to use the Hue slider to adjust the hue. However, this can get annoying when you are in the red section since the reds go from 0.0-0.09 and 0.91-1.0 So if you want to slide across this you have to slide all the way back through the other hues.
This applies to all the sliders but I’ve found it most bothersome when using the Hue slider.

3 Likes

Can I ask for a change of behavior of the delete operator in the Object context menu?
The delete operator in the Object context menu asks for confirmation when I click on it, and it’s quite annoying imo. So I think it would be better if it could behave like the delete operator found in the Object menu, that one deletes straight away when you click it.

7 Likes

I wish there was a one click option in the properties to turn off all pop ups. Is there one and I can’t find it?

1 Like

But why? I mean, they are handy. :smile:

11 Likes

Not handy to me, SO annoying (I also would love if the rendered image didn’t have a pop up window if possible). Honestly, it sounds weird but no pop-ups and Blender’s fast startup are two of the main reasons why I choose Blender over Maya… Maya does have touch support which is nice but their UI is so greedy that it often requires 2 screens which is more of a kick below the belt than a papercut lol.

1 Like