Blender UI paper cuts

Why do the Select Circle tool, which is selected in the Toolbar and the Tool called on the hot key C, work differently?

Select Circle brings up a context menu.

LBM - Selected. Creates a new selection each time.
MBM - Moves and rotates
RBM - context menu

Hotkey C

LBM - Selected
MBM - Deselects
RBM - Disconnects tool

These are two different tools, i.e. a hot key does not call the desired tool.

2 Likes

I guess it is intended. It’s the Hotkey vs “Tool mode” workflow. Until 2.8x Blender didn’t have the latter

Agreed the “operator version” of some tools should just be removed, or at least the key bindings replaced to call the tool instead of the operator. Circle select is best when you can navigate around your mesh, I think.

This is not possible, among other reasons because the system decided to interact with the active tools that prevents you from leaving them unless you select another active tool. It was proposed that if you were in an active tool and you pressed “ESC”, you would return to the active tool to select, but the developers didn’t want to.

Sure that’s what active tools are. They’re not temporary ! Agree this is a hassle switching to circle select and back. A middle ground solution could be to remap the operator’s keys to match those of the tool, and allow for navigation. Is it technically possible, I can’t say…

It’s not possible because breaks modal users workflow. The users of modal tools not use the Tool Shelf so can’t back to select without map other key to select.

Sure, (most) tools have shortcuts ! I don’t use the toolshelf either (you can back to it by pressing W).

Sorry, what’s the difference between Spin and Spin Dublicates?

Try to do the same with only a face, not the whole object

4 Likes

The hotkey calls the right tool.
Yes u cant rotate around but u can quickly change size(wheel) and select what you want and then push RMB to cancel

Yeah, it’s funny…
Maybe the Spin Duplicates tool is meant to have the “Use Duplicates” checkbox enabled by default?

2019-12-20_00-19-26

:thinking:

4 Likes

Thanks. But then why these settings are not in the panel Tool settings?

5 Likes

Seems Blender 2.81 changed the shadow code… and now has sharp (and very low-resolution and ugly) shadows as default for Eevee… while the rest of the defaults in Blender, correct me if I’m wrong, are set up for PBR where smooth shadows are preferred?

Yes, they replaced VSM and ESM shadows by PCF ones. It’s on the relase notes. But that’s not a paper cut and we should discuse that somewhere else.

At this point I don’t see a reason to keep OpenGL Depth Picking exposed in preferences. Disabling this setting causes undefined selection which even the tooltip basically admits.

If it somehow could be used to reverse the pick order then maybe it at least has an obscure edge case, but as it is now it’s just asking for bug reports.

How is the fact that all of Blender’s default options are set up for PBR, except the new 2.81 shadows, not a paper cut?

It’s an extra check box you need to know about and know to enable before you are able to get Blender look realistic for a PBR workflow.

In the latest Blender 2.82 alpha master builds, the right-click brush settings dialog in Sculpt Mode has its appearance hotspot set at the top right of the dialog, which is not very convenient when you want to quickly adjust the brush size or strength slider.

The dialog appearance hotspot used to be at a more convenient, slider-centric position. It’d be great if that could be fixed, thanks a lot.

2 Likes

Yes, I noticed that too…

:frowning:

3 Likes

I have proposition to make contextual categories in property editor. See the image!

With this change you can probably move categories into the old place at the top of window which will be better in my opinion.

6 Likes