Blender UI paper cuts

well as a windows user I prefer my folders to be orange.

basically your design but swapped the blue and orange.

1 Like

Select Material button works right.
Try to select 3 materials in a row, if it will override.
(that is impossible)

Didn’t found a discussions about new file manager.
Two questions

1. Is there reason to keep filename so far from it’s path? It forces to took back and forth in order to see it’s full location.

2. Pasting full filename path don’t splits it into path and filename fields anymore.
    Workflow case:

• Open folder with 1000 images
  • Found proper image with imageviewer, copy it`s full path in clipboard.
  • Make an empty image in blender, open new file browser to load image.
  • Paste full path to new browser - it leads to folder with 1000 images… and that’s it.
    You have to find it manually or copy it’s filename to a buffer separately from filepath and filter it from other images, instead of immediate access.
8 Likes

Where those “rgb” colors in the graph editor are coming from? They are too strong , they need to be tweakable in the theme settings.

7 Likes
  • What about the options button, that hilarious what happens when you press it.
  • Also the back button is missing at the top of the list.
  • The window size needs to be saved, on bigger displays it a tiny window
  • It also missing creation date for ordering, add some more items, like type

But its a WIP, hope they can change some aspects, but this is just first testing i guess

PS for me it does split filepath and filename, i justneed to press return/enter. For me its OSX

The new vertical alignment for the navigation icons looks nice “A” but in “B” im not sure if its right

11 Likes

Nice? Are you serious?

This was a bad design from the start. Now let’s enjoy the consequences.
This should be reverted asap.

1 Like

lets be honest in the last two weeks there where really controversial changes that are actually a problem, vertical icons its not a problem, if the properties editor wouldn’t be where it is those vertical icons would be ok.
its different but its not ugly, the thing comes into play when the properties editor its open with the tabs closed, there its no longer that nice.
In my scale of “nop doesn’t work” this rates a lower than other lot of things at the moment.

Why not considering to move the four buttons a few pixels higher, in the header ?

8 Likes

Better yet, somewhere outside the blender window.

You can switch off the Navigation Controls in Prefs if you’re used to keyboard + mouse/pen navigation:

My current top 3 Blender UI desires:

1. Delete option in (right-click menu of) new file dialog.
  2. Addition of Perspective/Orthographic toggle to the ` key menu.
  3. ‘Add To Quick Favorites’ option for search (F3) results.
1 Like

Blender Foundation actually made a public request for that position (see somewhere near end of the page)

1 Like

I remember seeing Pablo doing exactly that in an old blender today video. But now it is not possible anymore… ??

1 Like

oh come on! that’s an euhemism. B is terrible

They had a open position for a UI developer, but I think that like an programmer, not designer of UI and UX.

Oh yes. In a file I’ve worked with I think I had the problem that the graph colours were edited in a different UI color theme (very low on contrast/bad readability) which somehow carried over in the file but couldn’t be replaced by switching back to the default color scheme.
I also could never find the coresponding color settings in the teme editor.

Maybe we could have somethhing like an eyedropper tool in the theme editor which scrolls directly to the corresponding color when clicking a panel in the UI?

Re-reading now, I guess you’re right

The outliner improvements in 2.81 are great but one issue I had today was if you drag an object into a collection that has children parented to it they don’t move with it. Even if you right click and select hierarchy it doesn’t seem to work. I feel like children should move with parents by default as that is more likely to be the default case than not.

14 Likes

The Select Linked (L) F9 redo panel has a duplicate:

Should be:

1 Like