Blender UI paper cuts

I think the Option to go back to the old 2.79 editor corner style were removed.
Correct me pls when i talk not correct.

A option is nothing bad.
You guys can bring it back if it was removed.
Auswahl_050

• Selecting 50 objects, want to isolate their collections, then go back to setup.

– AutoCAD: Easy. ISOLATE button and LAYERP to undo layer’s visibility changes anytime you want.
– Blender: Impossible. Aw, also, if you forgot to create new visibility layer, before doing something, your 989 collections perfect setup has gone, sorry.

You could use a different View Layer. In the 2nd one, enable whichever Collection you want. Then you can jump between them to see different sets of Collections.

That’s the difference between development and business/production.

– In development, every solution is nice if it is somehow at least possible at any cost.
Everything is possible in infinte time, if it is mathematically possible.

– In business, solution is already dead, if it at least doesnot fits required time.
That’s why making workflow is a way harder than to make some technology.
Because workflow is technology per time.

5 Likes

So I can tell - there is a huge difference in production between “you can”, and, actually, “you have to”

But why are they needed? The interface and without them is full of all sorts of unnecessary elements.

Here is an action.
For example, I put all cubes to corresponding layers.
An Isolate layers function from 1D_Script isolates layers of selected objects

ISOLATE

Solution tooks seconds and supports any amount of objects and collections.
Does it mean, that I have to hire local developer again to provide even such basic visibility management functionality for collections in 2.8?

6 Likes

You have high requirements for grouping and stage management. The question arises:
Was the old 2.7 layer system + your 1D_Script enough for you?

The same issue is about inverting.
We need to view what is, actually, hidden by us in the scene.
Pretty much suitable for handling 596 hidden collections from 1000
Suddenly, solution doesnot exist in 2.8

INVERTT

3 Likes

That’s not correct question.

As a workflow designer I made it enough for any practical case possible.
Same, for autoCAD.
It’s actually, my job as Workflow Designer - to make software usable.

1 Like

Does this need to be understood as: “Yes, for any practical case, the 2.7 layer system + 1d script was enough for me”?

If you are asking about managing - of course.
If you are asking about capacity - of course, but I understand if some ultracomplex projects can reqiure higher capacity.

1 Like

Theme question:

Is it possible to have this ‘state’ color available in the theme settings? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When working with Dynamic Paint, there’s actually no way to see what the weight paint result looks like in Object, Edit, or Weight Paint mode.

Application Templates don’t affect Interface or Viewport preferences, which makes it impossible to have one template for small screen laptop work and one for larger screen desktop work.

A couple paper cuts:

Weight painting x-ray mode only affects the bones. When I want both sides to have equal weight, this is really annoying.

Can’t cycle through weight paint brush with number keys. Did this change to a different hotkey?

Can’t name bones in the N-panel. Unfortunate when you’ve got a lot of naming to do.

Grease pencil drawing key frames don’t jump to the next key frame always. Really annoying when working with layers and wanting to draw things on the same key frame.

2 Likes

Long-standing effect.

If you disable unused sockets on compositing nodes,

then after starting the render, they themselves are activated for nodes of the “Render Layer” type.

Strange sizes of nodes.

The default sizes:

Minimum sizes:

Wouldn’t it be more convenient to have some kind of fixed size (for example, the minimum) by default when creating a new node?

All this is not very important when your composition looks like this:

But these little things are convenient when you try to work accurately.

8 Likes

Completely agree! A couple of tiny Prev / Next buttons in the 3D Cursor tab of the N-Panel would be super useful! Perhaps something like so?

3DCursorHistory

7 Likes

Gimp makes it possible to customize the toolbar.

What if there was the possibility of customizing the toolbar in a blender?
To be able to turn off worthless tools.
Just one global switch’s list for all windows (UV/compos/3D/etc.).

7 Likes

Is it really so cumbersome for you?

Although now that I think about it, collapsible sections kinda like the N-Panel has them, could be useful…