Blender UI paper cuts

If you open a .blend file, restriction icons configuration in outliner are respected (then that configuration belongs to the scene?). But now, if you append a scene for example from a new instance of Blender, restriction icons configuration of the imported scene are not respected (the visibility settings of those icons are still those you had from where you append the other scene).
I think that configuration should be respected.
For example you open an instance of Blender with default configuration, and then append the following scene:
http://pasteall.org/blend/index.php?id=52036

Edit:
When I talk about restriction icons configuration, I refer to the visibility settings of the columns that are configured from filter icon (Restriction Toggles).

Today in Blender’s fubar:
Why does mesh cache modifier have file format selector when it’s trivial to read the extension of the filename? It increases room for user error with absolutely no added functionality in return.

On top of that, when the formats mismatch, the modifier displays invalid error message “Vertex count mismatch”, which sends users to look for wrong solution to the wrong problem.

Imagine an image viewer application, which supports all the common image formats, like jpg, png, tif, exr, etc… When you browse to open any of these, they all show as compatible, but when you open for example image with JPG extension, the software won’t display the image until you also pick JPG entry in some UI dropdown menu, despite loading a file with explicit jpg extension.

1 Like

…or why not both? :slight_smile:

It wouldn’t be a mess if done properly.
Anyways, since I’m not seeing any plans for improvements of the tools system workflow, I guess it’s not worth to bother with those issues for now. :wink:

In Blender, where there are multiple possibilities for an element, the pop-up/drop down menus don’t show the currently active/selected item. This becomes an irritating thing whenever u are exploring an unfamiliar portion e.g. :

• button for “current editor type for this area”
  • “handle / easing type” under f-curve context menu under graph editor
  • <- many other areas ->

This is not a problem at some places in properties editor though, as heading for the menu says it. The solution, as one may guess, is to highlight the current/active item:

1 Like

Not Showing current selected in pop down menu is a known issue and is being worked on here: https://developer.blender.org/D5187

Hi, i think multiple modifier tabs looks complicated. My suggestion is like this.

16 Likes

Hi idilek.

Have you seen this suggestion?

3 Likes

Thanks for letting me know, never seen before because i am new in blender. I really love this, its looks like Blender 3.0

1 Like

“Skip Auto-Save” and “Auto-Save Preferences” it means the same thing. Turn off “Auto-Save Preferences” it means “Skip Auto-Save”. Yea?
Enable/Disable “Auto-Save Preferences” will be enough I think.
Untitled-1

1 Like

Some time ago, the default startup properties panel tab was changed from render settings to world, so that Blender looks less complicated when launched for the first time. Back when the change was made, properties panel did not have the active tool tab. Now it does, so it would make sense to default to active tool tab for two reasons:

1. It makes Blender’s default look even cleaner and less intimidating:
  2. It makes more sense as a starting point, because
    A. People first need to create some content in their empty scenes, so they will be probably utilizing tools first, before adjusting things like world or render settings
    B. By default, tool settings are not shown on any other place. Topbar is gone, sidebar is closed, and so is the bottom left viewport popover.
1 Like

At the very least the tool settings bar should be open by default, yeah…

6 Likes

Just started using blender again after almost a year but noticed that when you’re using edge and face select at the same time, loop and ring select only work with faces and not edges. So you have to switch to edge select only then back to edge and face select when you’re done.

1 Like

We have ask that A lot of times , but devs told us that they decide dont do it.

Really?
Very very very weird decision…

Keep the selection tool uniform in different modes

Can Blender keep the selection tool uniform when converting different modes? Or can Blender record the form of the selection tool in different modes? This is a little unpleasant to use. Re-set each time when Blender reopen.

4 Likes

@Ying-ChengSu Do it once and than save the startup file.

Maybe i’m wrong, but i remember that after some times asking for that change some dev told that it was decided internally and that was the decision. It was last time that I asked for something for blender2.80.

I have same opinion that you, toolbar must be on by default for new users.

4 Likes

It only save selection tool setup in default mode ,but other mode no save.

is it possible to put the toolbar before the sidebar when flipping them, this is just from a usability point of view.

7 Likes