Blender UI paper cuts

The X-Ray slider is mislabeled - if you have X-Ray at 100% (more x-ray), your objects are completely opaque, and if it’s at 0, your objects are transparent. This is the opposite of what’s expected. It should either be inverted, or relabeled to X-Ray opacity.

5 Likes

1 - In the camera options, background images: why a chain icon in the “show this image as background” and not the eye as in other show/hide option? (And the same reasoning applies to the modifiers show/hide in viewport: why the chain? )

2 - Why I can’t see the background image when in wireframe? Now the default depth is “Back” and the image is not visible in wireframe mode. Is this a bug?

Thank you,
Rickyx

I know, but you must enable snapping to a vertex and have right settings (closest for example) and there may be some inconvenience (like snapping where you don’t want to).
With this technique you can’t merge to the center or have more settings (For example merge multiple vertices to one)

With a Weld tool you can.

Please restore the link to the Blender Python API Reference from the help menu. It was the easiest way to get directly to the latest version of the api from Blender instead of messing around in Google search trying to figure out which one is correct and often getting results from the Blender 2.49 api.

279_api_ref no_api_ref

3 Likes

Oh, sorry, I just found that it can be enabled with ‘Developer Extras’.

I would like to see the workspace tabs beeing moved into a dropdown list to free up more space in the header for other things.
Also as soon as i have more workspaces as fit in the given space it gets super clumsy with side scrolling which then hides the main menu functions.
Maybe those should be sticky so only the worjspaces scroll sideways, or as i said, convert the workspaces to a dropdown and remove the problems completely.

1 Like

There is a merge operator, which allows you to do precisely that : merge to first vertex, last vertex, center or cursor. You can bind it to a hotkey.

My english is probably failing, sorry :smiley: .
I was trying to say this.
If we had a Welding Tool, it would be more:

1. User friendly (because its more visual)
  2. You could have more and fast control with less clicking (settings at the top panel in 3D View)
  3. Its faster (less clicking)
    Optional:
  4. In the future, we could have welding edges with this tool too :innocent:

I use blender 2 years now. So I hope to have enough knowledge. (not a PRO)

I think you are better off actually creating image mock-ups for what the tool would look like within the interface and how it would work.

I have posted it here Welding vertices feature idea

Its more like feature request now then PaperCut

Yup this should be added. Edit: Done

The issue is that, at least currently, those things are part of the current brush, so they can’t be in the Overlays popover without making significant changes.

Yes, this should be done. The Sculpting workspace was added before the Screen Space Cavity feature was added.

Edit: Task for this and other startup changes is here: https://developer.blender.org/T63986

It was on for a while, but we got reports of people having issues with it for some meshes. Using it like this with Suzanne causes huge spikes, for example. So it really depends on the use-case.

2 Likes

Outliner drag and drop multiple selected objects!
Currently it’s very confusing and annoying that only one object is being parented when doing drag and drop in scene view.

2 Likes

Mabe it is something i Don’t know with UVmapping in blender.

When create a cheker uvmap texture. I want to see it in my 3d view when mapping but I have to override every material already on my mesh.

It would be nice to have when working in Uv’s a way to override toggle of material on active selected meshes if needed.

6 Likes

I’m sure this has been discussed somewhere, pretty sure there’s a proposal on Right Click Select, but after a bit of searching I’ve been unable to locate it…

Is there a plan to get Layer Renderability (Exclude, Indirect Only, Holdout, Mask) displayed visually in the Outliner? Currently only the Exclude flag is shown by grayed out Collection titles.

It’s extremely frustrating to have to right click and enter the View Layer menu to see which layers have been set to Indirect Only, or Holdout. This is completely fundamental for rendering out different passes and if it doesn’t make it into 2.80 final, i’ll be very sad :frowning:

Edit: If anyone finds the proposal on Right Click Select, please let me know.

5 Likes

Shouldn’t Lock Camera to View in the View n-panel be greyed out unless you are looking through a camera? This seems to have no effect unless you are in a camera (Numpad 0).
d22pprhM

Conversely, the two input elements above it do get greyed out while in a camera:

PaperCut

rotate a canvas in Image Editor - paint mode (I haven’t paint in Blender much, so if its possible correct me please)

Paper Cut!

In Armature Edit mode, you can scale Bbones with ctrl+alt+S, in X and Y axes even! But you can’t SET a specific bbone scale, so if you scaled your bbones to 0, you can’t thicken them back up, since ctrl+alt+s scales as a percentage of the current scale (I had to create a python script to do it :joy:) There is nothing on the N sidebar Transform panel either, there you can find Envelope radius for head, tail and envelope, but nothing for Bbone scale.

Proposal, put ScaleB X and ScaleB Y as properties in the Transform panel in the N sidebar and the Bone properties, then the user can change multiple bones at a time with Alt, like with any other property. Also, since that panel would be getting crowded, one possibility can be to hide the Bbone specific properties and the Envelope specific properties when the Armature drawing isn’t set to Bbone or Envelope respectively. Something like that already happens with ctrl+alt+s, where it scales Bbone size or Envelope bone radius depending on the drawing of the armature

1 Like

Wohoo! Hierarchies are now visible in the default outliner view mode, thank you Blender devs! :heart:

This again makes me wonder what the “scene” outliner view mode is good for, but since I hopefully no longer need to ever use it, I guess I don’t have to care anymore and will leave the complaining about that to someone else. :wink:

1 Like

Color coding is also important in this scenario, because the small circle that appears currently is not representative of actual change that will happen across the entire selection:

Also, because of the proportional editing is represented with a circle only, I wasn’t even aware that you were allowed to do what I do in the above screenshot (you can even select vertices on the opposite ends of the model, and still get “locally” affected proportional modifications. It actually works, but it has low discoverability because of the lack of colorization on the vertices which will actually be affected (should be an overlay toggle).

EDIT: Damn, forgot about this thread.

2 Likes

Campbell just committed changes to proportional editing, to make it a toggle with options. I really hope gradient overlay comes next, along with proper geodesic distance computation !