Blender UI paper cuts

By the way, why the header is at the bottom on the user prefs and at the top on all other areas?

3 Likes

We can flip it. I prefer every header flip to bottom except properties and outliner

1 Like

except properties… :wink:

I just noticed that when you enter local mode whilst in edit mode and you create a new edge, vertex, whatever, the model you’re working on vanishes. It works fine if you enter local mode whilst in “object” mode. Hope i made sense here.

2 Likes

Nice example of colors for Properties tabs. Should be trivial to add theme categories for these. I can work on a patch when I’m back from holiday.

10 Likes

I think this looks absolutely aweful, sorry … like one of those really ugly christmas sweaters i see everywhere recently ^^

I really liked the solution presented by AdamPreisler though:

3 Likes

Yeah, it is ugly, but works when you want to locate the icon before move the eyes. Adampreisler proposal is good, but i see hard to see the color fast.

1 Like

Different strokes for different folks, both of them should be available as options IMHO.

@ManuelGrad
But UI has more important functions other than looking nice does it not?

Should I slow down my workflow just to have pretty interface? And please don’t tell me that I’ll get use to it because I won’t. I didn’t get used to them in GIMP and I won’t get used to them in blender.

Maybe it’s my brain or eyes and it’s not a problem for you but please try to be a bit more compassionate about it. We’re not complaining just to be annoying I promise.

@billrey :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Consitency
using the annotation tool as example
further using the compositing workspace as example

- To see annotations currently in the compositor you have to execute multiple steps before you can see the results:
1.1 Click annotate
1.2 Enable nodes checkbox or N Sidebar
1.3 Enable checkbox

- For consistency the topbar should be shown in compositor as well
a place to host the most frequent tool options.

bl28_tool-options

- One consistent place for a full list of options
for the selected tool or the selection in general. Stuffing everything in the N-Sidebar is not the best idea as the current contents are from wild range of categories of options you find there.

(Might be best to restict it to window and system settings concerning that excact window.)

If there are worries about accessibility of the tab preferences vs. the N Sidebar for all the opions using the CTRL + Spacebar to max. a window gets you there as fast (in one action)

23_tabbar_preferences
All tool options or maybe even all settings for the current selection

8 Likes

In my head it whould work like this: select Annotate tool, then the moment you start writing/drawing something any switch needed to see annotation should be switched on, if not already. Makes no sense wrting and not seeing what you write

3 Likes

Sry for the writing mistakes that made the post unclear. Main point with the annotation tool is that you should be able to click on it and use it direcly and as such see the results directly. Currently you have to enable the annotations checkbox in the N Sidebar to see what you have been drawing/annotating.

1 Like

Why are pie menus changing places of selected tab? (From Solid to Rendered)

And can we get rid of it? :smiley:

6 Likes

SOOOO i reported a bug for 2.8 and was sent here

I have enabled “open on mouse over” (User prefs > Interface > Menus)
and while all the other menus and dropdows open as expected, shading, overlays, snap, proportional editing, saving a total of 2 clicks for each menu and total of like 20 or something.
However the last action editor doesn’t open automatically
that little black rectangle at the bottom left everytime you do something in blender at the bottom left.

Brecht says it is a panel not a menu, but it is something like that because it needs to opened and closed everytime one wants to access it, so not including it under ‘open on mouse over’ is irritating to say the least. think of the potential clicks saved!

if someone fixes this i will be eternally gratefull.

2 Likes

i will sculpt a statue of said person, 3d print it and put it on my desk and worship it everyday before starting my work.

2 Likes

When weight painting, it becomes onerous to find the correct bones (vertex groups) when you have a lot of them. e.g. - when I want to paint for some of the “leg” bones, I have to scroll through 160 vertex groups to find the bone, and they aren’t in any order to find the one that I want.

This process would be easier if we could filter the vertex groups (see the picture below).

If I wanted to filter the vertex groups and see only “leg” bones, i would simply enter the characters into the filter box (“leg”), and then I would see only those vertex groups.

FilterVertexGroups

Edit:

There is already a search field - I just didn’t realize it. that tiny little right pointing arrow is the search field dropdown.
Thanks to @billrey for pointing that out.

4 Likes

Its snapping with CTRL

2 Likes

Oh, great! thank you :smiley: deleting the post

Paper cut, it’s hard to tell when proportional editing is turned on. For reference, it’s easy with the snap magnet since the button turns blue. I understand that Proportional editing is not a toggle, but a popover, but it would be nice for it to turn blue, or for the icons, except “disabled”, to be blue
Sin%20t%C3%ADtulo

23 Likes

This area, as well as the all the other list-areas (shape keys, materials, textures, vertex colors, face maps, particles), are needing a major revamp, just like the Outliner with the Collections.

Which in the case of the Vertex Weights (Groups) field should maybe include:

-ability to filter by name, bone group, locked or unlocked, weight limit (ex: less than X), etc.
-ability to shift+click to select a whole range or ctrl+click to select multiple individuals
-ability to reorganize the list by drag and release instead of arrows
-ability to create groups for nesting and categorizing the weights (and to filter by these group’s names)

The same could be said for filtering, organizing (grouping) and rearranging the shape keys list, materials list and all the other stuff that I mentioned.

Edit: In fact I cannot wait for them to implement the same Collections interface/behavior to Armature bone layers as well. It sucks being limited to 32 bone layers, without proper name categorization, nesting, etc. I asked Dalai on the Collections dev page if/when he planned to do it, but he never responded.

3 Likes