Blender UI paper cuts

Not sure is it the place, but could we have same names for collections or objects? It is quite useful for some scenarios:
Collection_01
+++Models
++++++Props
+++Lights
Collection_02
+++Models
++++++Props
+++Lights

Also there is no visual way to know if objects linked (via Alt+D).

About shortcuts for the tool menu in 3D view.
Transform : T
Move : 4
Rotate R
Scale : S

I think Move should be M or G.

1 Like

As far as I know this is simply a mistake.

2 Likes

hell no! don’t even think about this :pouting_cat:

Save data-block even if it has no user

Lose any work is annoying for everybody, especially for new Blender users. Automatic and hidden cleaning unused data-block - when save and close Blender - is not the best way. Each user must make decision, what will be deleted or kept in file.
I agree, that some cleaning tool is necessary to keep low disk/memory usage.
I’m professional CAD user. CAD software usually produces a lot of “mess”, especially when some top data structures deleted. This kind of software give to user some cleaning tool and user will decide, when and how will be used.
My proposals are:

1. Blender should warn user at least, that some data-block will not be saved. This can be part of quit Blender.
    or
  2. Blender will keep all data-blocks in file till user purge them by run of cleaning tool, if he want. Just click and delete all of them.
    or
  3. Blender will have sophisticated cleaning toll, what will allow user clean unused data-bloks by type or/and user can choose by check box what will be kept/deleted or not.

I know, that it is big issue for Blender internal system. But let’s discuss about that and ideas and proposals collect here for far future.

9 Likes

first of all thank you, that you have returned the ability to hide mesh while texturing.
but is it possible to get rid of the annoying wireframe when ‘face selection masking for painting’ is enabled?

I know, that I can toggle off the whole overlay visibility, but in that case I won’t be able to see how the texture looks like purely without shading, and more over I won’t be able to paint on normal maps (I mean it won’t be visible).
it would be great if you include some kind of checkbox inside the overlays menu, it already has ‘wireframe’ option, but it turns on and off another wireframe.

5 Likes

An option to autosave userprefs (enabled by default) or at least informing “Userpref changes will be lost” when closing.

6 Likes

Also an easy way to reset to factory defaults would be nice. But this is more of a feature request I suppose.

2 Likes

Poly count that shows more

1. How many polygons scene has
  2. How many polygons are currently on screen
  3. How many polygons are selected (in object mode or edit mode)
    Similar to this
    GUID-A9756AC4-69A0-470B-BF2B-49982D7DD1ED
16 Likes

imagen

16 Likes

The current axis (X Y Z ) color dosen’t match the color what you actually seeing in the viewport. That makes it in some cases difficult to give the axis enough contrast so you spot them quite easily. It would make it also consistent with the color of the gizmo:

Axis_Color_Not_Matching

Edit have some error in the image the red color is of course the X axis not the Y :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Sorry if this is known issue (and maybe being discussed elsewhere) but I have just noticed that the Object Context Menu pops up even if I have nothing selected. In that case the commands of course do nothing but everything appears as if it were functional. Maybe it should not pop up at all or the menu and/or the text should be subdued.

Probably out of scope of a simple paper cut but:

1. Maybe there could be a different menu - say Scene Context Menu or something like that with useful commands like:
  • Save scene
  • Import…
  • Grid settings
  • Clean unused stuff
  • etc.
  1. Or it could work like in say Maya where context (marking) menus work even for unselected objects - you just point the cursor at them and then hold RMB. But this is probably quite a different paradigm with its pros and cons.

maya_object_context_menu

4 Likes

Agree with 1. option
2. option creates unwanted behavior

1 Like

Can we decouple snapping settings per editor type? Having global setting for totally different contexts is illogical and confusing. This is really annoying for users who likes to have snapping enabled in node editor all the time.

11 Likes

in 2d animation workspace
blender_2018-12-02_11-15-49
button disappear when mouse over
blender_2018-12-02_11-13-00
need different color or contrast when mouse over

1 Like

In the outliner, active items are highlighted orange, but while in edit mode, i also can highlight other things via the blue bar. Does this blue bar do anything apart from distracting

?

4 Likes

The highlighting of the item in the outliner is barely visible. One really has to look closely to find out which collection to open.

I’m requesting a little gap above each white dropdown arrow.

2 Likes

+1 for an unclickable thin orientation marker, for those using G/R/S.

It’s already there: Preferences/Interface/3D Viewport Axis: → set to “Simple Axis”