Blender UI paper cuts

So much going on in this thread. I don’t know if these have been adressed or not, if so just ignore.
The color picker icon is misaligned:

colorpicker_misaligned

And there’s a problem with the user prefs when you install a theme the bar with “save user settings”, “install theme” etc. flips from the bottom to the top. It resets itself when you close the user prefs window. It’s a bit confusing:

3 Likes

I like the changes that are being done to the context menus but there’s one missing option that I keep noticing:
When a mesh object is selected you have to option “Convert to” and you can convert the mesh to a mesh (which also applies all modifiers) or a curve.
The same option is missing when a curve object is selected. It makes sense to add it to that context menu as well.

EDIT: In fact the entire set of options, including “Join” and “Set Origin” is missing as well.

7 Likes

insert keyframe should be brought back to it’s position,it’s most used than the shortcut “i” and set origin too, it no longer invokes the menu, it sets geomtery to origin…snapping and pivoting is now harder, maybe it’s just a bug.

Yea. We have Copy Data Path, it could be a similar option for operators.

1 Like

Good point! Right now it’s all if obj.type == 'MESH'. We should do 3 checks for that section.

We need to know:

• Which object type can be Joined. (for example Font objects can’t be joined)
  • Which object type can be Converted.

I think Set Origin works for all types so we could take it out of the if statement.

Could someone have a look which object types are compatible with these operators? Thanks!

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Decoupling x-ray and limit selection to visible

Could it be possible to be able to grab move the workspace tabs in Blender?
It would be much more convenient then the currently available options: “Reorder to Front” & “Reorder to Back” :slight_smile:

Please disregard if I’ve missed it.

blender%20tabs

5 Likes

I think i’ve read Pablo saying it’d be a temporary solution for now as making them able to be grabbed was no trivial task.

4 Likes

Paper Cut: In GP top bar material selector menu, resize of this popup only happens after mouse release, and doesn’t even go all the way the mouse goes when resizing upward.

2 Likes

Not sure if this should be a user interface topic or paper but here goes:

Currently, the Quick Favorites Tools allow multiple instances of the same command.
Also, if you Quick Favorite a T-Panel Tool, the tool appears in the Quick Favorites named as “Set Tool By Name”.

The above behaviour is shown in the present gif.

2 Likes

One more:

Currently, Grease Pencil from drawing tools are not able to be Quick Favorited like before (when they were active tools of the T-Panel).

Moving objects by specific vertex and snapping to an edge of another object.

On an example - Currently to perform this task I must:

Enter Edit mode

• Select Vertex
  • Move 3D cursor to selection (Shift + S)

Enter Object mode:

• Set Origin (Crtl + Alt + Shift + C) -> Origin to 3D cursor
  • Grab near the the desired edge along an axis
  • Select “magnet” (Snap during transform) & choose edge
    –> Finally snap the moved object to desired location

There could be a toggle option to snap select a given vertex or midpoint of an edge of object A (while being in object mode) and then while moving it, it would snap to the desired edge of object B.

Such function would be a game changer both for people migrating to blender and being a massive time saver.

5 Likes

And in some panels is missing, as overlay menu:
if you don’t have a full-hd monitor and all the options does not fit the vertical scroll is really about going up and down with the mouse.

The Navigation Gizmo doesn’t draw with perspective when in perspective mode.
gizmo_Ortho gizmo_Persp

It always draws in orthographic, which makes it look strange when using perspective mode.

4 Likes

The workspace for Shading should not be called “Shading” because the word Shading is already used for the view port display options.
shadingx2

The Shading workspace should probably be renamed to “Shader Editing”

3 Likes

The default workspaces are awesome for workflow, but we should have a way to reset them after rearranging the windows. I’ve already found myself rearranging my windows not realizing I was still in the UV Editing workspace, which means the next time I want to use the UV Editing workspace it’s all messed up.

Right now the best we have is to save, quit, then reopen without loading the UI, which isn’t terrific.
It would be great to have a right click option to “Reset workspace to preset layout.”

7 Likes

A few paper cuts I found playing with Blender 2.80 today :

• Lamps target When grabbing the lamp target, it doesn’t update unless there is an object behind.

• Viewport motion blur When motion blur is on and in camera view, the viewport samples don’t update.

• One window available When a render is open in a new window, and then I want to open the User Preferences window, it takes the place of the render window.

• Timeline doesn’t refresh When I have some keyframes on an object, if I select another object, it doesn’t refresh unless I click inside the timeline.

• Studio lighting There is no way to differentiate if it is camera based or world based.

• Browser editor The icons are not aligned with the text.

3 Likes

EDIT: Resolved with the recent Preferences changes. Thanks!

10 Likes

Blender Dark has multiple accent colors that look less different.
By unifying these color codes, it is easier to make bulk changes of accent colors using a text editor.

7 Likes

@pablovazquez hey Pablo, have you seen this? I don’t think this is intentional, right?