Blender UI paper cuts

Don’t be jaded, bug reporting is very strict to keep things manageable, it’s not against you. That symmetry thing looks like a bug to me. If it turns out it’s not considered as such, we can share the blame.

I proposed on RCS to add something like platform for Reroute Node to be able to move it by mouse cursor.

Like in this UE 4 example (GIF inside)

Maybe if it get some votes on RCS it would be good to add to Blender such thing.

2 Likes

Cry baby cry.

It nice little addition if there was highligh line on mouseover region resize.

Like some editors do eg. Unreal
aaaqw

14 Likes

The F2 rename does not quite do what is expected. In windows if you have something selected pressing F2 allows you to rename that thing. In blender the F2 works differently and only renames object name regardless of what is active or actually selected. For example pressing F2 in the vertex colors, shape keys or uvmaps menus (the properties editor) does not give the option to rename vertex color, shape key or uvmap that is selected… but the object name. The expected behaviour should be to change the selected thing’s name and that thing should be the last selection in the active menu. Pressing F2 in 3d view should change object name, F2 elsewhere should change the active thing there.

1 Like

Additionally in the outliner F2 also only renames the active object. Not the highlighted ones. Which means that when wanting to go through a list it’s not possible to do by keyboard only. You have to reach for the Mouse/Tablet.

4 Likes

Cry? Baby? … So it’s duplicate. This topic become way too long to allow to check it all for such dupli cases. Is any news that someone will work on it?

1 Like

With multiple objects selected, press Control + F2 for the Batch Rename panel.

If multiple people here agree, I can close this topic and start a Blender UI paper cuts part 2 thread?

Or maybe multiple UI threads, separated by subject?

Suggestions are welcome.

What do you think, @billrey and @dfelinto?

1 Like

Screenshot_44

It might seem silly for those who know this already, but I’ve just spend 10 minutes figuring out why when I click Use Nodes button, my nodes don’t work! :wink:

When I see a button like this I think: ok, I’m not using nodes right now, so when I press it, I will switch to nodes.

Little did I know, as a beginner, that I am using nodes by default and this toggle state is not represented visually like other toggles.

Screenshot_45

1 Like

Maybe solution is some season format. Or maybe quartals like Papercuts 2020 Q1, Q2, Q3 and Q4. With closing topic when it complete + some summarize to let people know what is already done during quartal…

2 Likes

This option is not available in the right click context menu from what I can see, so it should be added.

I think the size and continued growth of this thread serves to point out the blind eye that Blender developers have turned towards usability issues for far too long.

Duplicate cases is not an issue, rather if multiple people come forward with the same feedback, it could point to a bigger flaw (that and sorting the thread by number of likes). The heart of the issue is that feedback is divided in three places:

• This thread/subforum
  • Right-click select
  • The bug tracker

Who reads them all? Who keeps track of what is being said? Who documents this? Unless I’m mistaken, all blender developers write weekly reports, but not the two dedicated ui/ux developers/designers (I’ve found only this so far).

2 Likes

I am well aware of the Ctrl-F2 panel. And I use it a lot.
The behaviour I described has nothing to do with batch renaming but with individual renaming that cannot be done with the Ctrl-F2 modifier. It’s an outliner limitaion that the active object remains the active one for renaming.
If you want to rename individual objects one by one fast then it’s a lot faster to go through by using keyboard shortcuts. Batch renaming is a tool for a different task.

1 Like

Agreed. The papercuts are a very integral part of making Blender a better tool day by day but currently I imagine it really difficult for devs and users alike to make sure that a papercut is logged while also sifting through the tons of duplicates.

I have no problem if a proposal of mine needs more explanation but in this thread I refrain from doing so to retain fast readability (the thread sometimes moves along VERY quickly).
I would also like to see whether something I propose is a duplicate or if it needs more focus because others see it as important as well. Sometimes I jump over from RightClickSelect to here when I see a proposal I made (sometimes over a year old) gets yet another new duplicate proposal.

Could all of these proposals be somehow easily be funneled into a central hub where we can look up if it’s on the list already and if so how high?
This would probably be in the interest of users and especially dev alike, wouldn’t it?

All we had here is collected during almost half of year. If such thread will be splitted by at least quarters it will be better for systematizing. Also issue - lack of visual response. I can come here, find that something is already described, but then i have no ideas is this thing on work or not, or even not planed.

There is no some " manager " who put some feedback thing, create task for this thing, then re post here this task status or at least link to task to let those who interested check this status manually.

It need some solution to merge somehow posts here with task tracker and real work progress.

You know what could be interesting?
Divide the Paper cuts in sections, one for outliner, another for 3d viewport and so on. In this way it would be easier for the developers to follow and not scroll through 3550 topics.

2 Likes

The property editor only shows the properties of the tools in the 3D view. Or the concept of an active window is introduced to show the tool repository or selection buttons should be added, right?

The N side panel is the alternative, of course.
In my opinion, or duplicates all or nothing, to be consistent.

5 Likes

No news.

Yes, that was a huge mistake. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

There’s an even better way to handle it : just like in Nuke. In Nuke, reroutes have little arrows attached to them. That’s what you drag when you want to connect it. The reroute itself can be dragged directly like any other node.

1 Like