Blender UI paper cuts

Here is another papercut, i don’t know if it had been posted her yet.

When i would like to create a new shortcut or quick menu or access the online manual, it is impossible to do that from the search popup because there is no right click.

From the menu it work
blender-Blender_aTZxxo-04-10-19-13-59

But from search menu it does not work.

10 Likes

Small thing, it seems that in the N panel, there is no color eyedropper in the color picker for the painting tool.

1 Like

Currently, to add a new brush texture, you need to click on X to “unlink the current texture”
blender_2019-10-04_14-37-57
then click on “new”
blender_2019-10-04_14-39-09
then go in the propery editor and click on “new” again

Suggestion 1
We could have a + button on the left of the Shield button in the first screenshot that would:

• add a texture

Suggestion 2
We could have a + button on the left of the Shield button in the first screenshot that would:

• add an image texture
  • open a file dialog for the user to select the image
  • have an option “no image” in case someone wants an another type of texture.
7 Likes

I personally find this a bit counter productive:

• There’s no need to display all socket connections in a collapsed node, as you have to expand the node to get all information in it.
  • As there’s no tool tips for sockets on collapsed nodes, there’s no need to have nodes of different sizes just to display all connections it has and you could have all be the same size when collapsed.
  • Mousing over a collapsed socket could show you a tool tip with all the socket information, including what’s connections it has.
17 Likes

"Smart" Menu Positioning
When opening a context menu, the menu positions itself so the cursor is over the last entry you used. This might seem helpful but it is not the typical behaviour (of most software) and actually interrupts flow.

It means the user cannot operate on muscle memory and must stop and assess where their desired entry is, every single time.

Solution
I think there should be a preferences option to disable this smart behaviour so it reverts to the behaviour seen in most other software. Thus: the menu is positioned so the cursor sits over the top-most entry (or the top left corner) whenever a context menu is called.

7 Likes

I did not see that you had already posted about this. I made a thread about it here:

1 Like

U want to use maximise area (default: ctrl spacebar) instead of full screen (default: ctrl alt spacebar)

quoting that in ur comment would be good, if u r still shown edit option for this comment

Node check box whitespace acts as part of the button.
This area is easy to click on when moving the node and will toggle the state and cause redraws. Either this area should not act as a button or there should be a visual indication that the user is hovering over the button.

3 Likes

Seconded. There are several more inconsistencies in the layout engine, such as some checkboxes not having their text as part of the hitbox for toggling them (in overlays panel if my memory serves right).

Voxel size needs an Interactive Cursor Preview to change the value like Dyntopo Resolution.

V

2 Likes

I’m wasn’t sure where to post this… I’m trying to tweak a bit the panel tabs to get something more in line (at least for my taste) with the new 2.8x interface, basically getting rid of the border highlight, and adding a shadow below, linked to the widget emboss color and alpha.

This would be before and after with some different themes:

2 Likes

So I have this one papercut

Please help

2019-10-08-10-01-16-(1)

4 Likes

@a.monti I know it’s something not related to aesthetics, but more functional …
do you think it’s something complicated to make tabs draggable?
… such as the workspaces tab, or the buttons of property-tabs.
When many addons are added and a long line of tabs is formed, blender currently compresses them, and at a certain point we don’t understand anything anymore …

3 Likes

When will be the additive selection of the material slots finally fixed?
The amount of user errors caused by the fact that Select button adds to selection instead of performing selection is extreme.

In even more confusing manner, the button is called “Select” instead of “Add to selection”.

Ideally, selection of faces by material slot should be as simple as double clicking the material slot thumbnail (not the name field, which should continue to trigger rename) and extending the selection should be as simple as holding shift while double clicking the material thumbnail in the slot list.

1 Like

What you probably want is to use this operator instead:
(I have it assigned to H key)

The calculate mass menu is a bit long …

2 Likes

If you mean “re-order” them then it’d be definitely beyond my C knowledge.

If you instead mean to scroll between tabs while keeping the mouse button pressed I’m not sure, I can try to look at the properties code and see if I understand how it works.

But would that really help? You can already scroll through the tabs with the scroll wheel.

Maybe it could be useful if the tabs didn’t get compressed, so that with the scroll wheel you would move the panel and see the ones hidden below or above, and with ctrl+wheel or click+drag you would cycle between them.

Not a big deal but definitely a quirk:

You can animate a camera’s mm focal length, but not its field of view - even though they are just different units for the same thing.

5 Likes

I simply mean this:

but obviously for the vertical addon tabs …

1 Like