Blender UI paper cuts

Yes, I thought that too, but then when the user wants to delete a simulation there would be no X, which is a more consistent symbol to tell you’re deleting something.
Maybe the whole thing should be more like modifiers’ UI?

2 Likes

That’s because there’s a blank icon assigned when the button is inactive.

If you remove it they get centred, the only problem is that when you click them the text will shift a bit on the right, I guess this would still be better than the current behaviour.

002067 002068

3 Likes

Or, we could do as in 2.7 and have the icons change to the X while the button is enabled

@pablovazquez is there a reason why this haven’t been done yet? I noticed that the correct icons were already defined in the operators, but overridden by the blank one .

4 Likes

That looks like the lowest - and best - hanging fruit

Hey, with the tabbed ‘N’ panel in the 3dview now, the tab area background runs all the way down and is currently almost opaque, which eats a chunk out of the usable 3dview when the N panel is open. Could we make this more (maybe completely) transparent?

Current example of the dark bar running down below the view tab:

Please take a look at my proposal related to making transparent that N-panel tab bar: N-Panel proposal and Pool

After playing with the bevel tool (Ctrl B), I wanted to try the bevel modifier and was surprised by the location of the options:
With the bevel modifier, I wanted to change the width type in the box value named “Width”: impossible. Off course, the selection is 7 lines below.
So a proposal for change below:

A other proposal, like that:

Or a mix or anything else to have more consistency in the location of the options between the bevel tool and the bevel modifier.

3 Likes

I’m the Bevel developer.
Yeah, I can see the point.
One downside I see to the proposal to move the method choice up is that I suspect it is a very rarely used option (readers: correct me if I’m wrong). It feels like the things that change most often (the amount, the # of segments) should be the easiest to find and the least subject to being something you have to scroll to see.
Your second point would be to make the order in the tool redo panel and the modifier more consistent. I can see that too.

When joining two objects which are already unwrapped, Blender seems to add names to UV maps and then only display one of them, with no apparent options on how to merge/show both:

https://developer.blender.org/T64245

3 Likes

Howard, would you like that I made a mockup for this bevel modifier and normals panels?

Or, in the bevel tool pop-up (?), drop the “Width Type” option, to have a match with the bevel modifier, even if the options are arranged differently between the bevel tool (Ctrl B) and the bevel modifier.

beveltool1

And the same name: Widht Type or Widht Method… or anything else.
Thank a lot for the great job.

Man, those buttons are just too small for that.

What’s the point?

1 Like

Tiny visual snag - the Dope Sheet Summary in the source list is one pixel taller than in the sheet itself:

3 Likes

What’s that symbol next to Assign Shortcut?

Weird stuff.

1 Like

It’s a symbol of “command” in the world of Cupertino fruit-growers.

7 Likes

Ok, then it shouldn’t be visible on Windows machines.

That symbol is really weird, I’m sure it has a hidden meaning behind it. Hahaha.

2 Likes

It’s a looped square symbol: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looped_square

It has viking roots and means ‘point of interest’. It’s also used by Apple for the Command (⌘) key.

1 Like

Usually when vertical tabs are located on the right side of a window, the text of the tab is placed to be read from top to bottom. Currently it’s the other way around, as if it was on the left side.

16 Likes

What about making it more clear what those drop-down menus represent?
Flat what? You have to click on it to understand it’s about Projection.
Linear could stand for a color space and/or interpolation.
I think we can do better than that.
Instead of clicking on it to see what it means we could tidy it up like so.

What do you think?

27 Likes

That symbol definitely means “Command” to Apple users, but I don’t think anyone would think it also means “Assign Shortcut”. Shouldn’t the icon on the menu be a curved arrow, or a finger or something?

5 Likes