Blender UI paper cuts

no news, so sad

i find myself using automerge alot on & off…would love to assign it to a hotkey instead of clicking a check box…i know it’s not really a paper cut, but maybe there is away that i am not aware of.
merge

Maybe in the snapping options

You could put it in quick favourites if that is sufficient.
But you can make it a hotkey, by using the toggle snapping and proportional editing hotkeys as a guide, and grabbing the python data path from the checkbox you want the hotkey for, this isn’t too difficult.

In the hotkey editor, go into 3D View -> Mesh -> Mesh (Global). Scroll down to the bottom of that section and click “Add New”, and fill it in like so:
Replace the shift K key with whatever you want, I just used shift K because it didn’t do anything disruptive for testing.

4 Likes

thank you, that’s excatly what i was looking for.

There was a thread started almost a year ago. A lot of people were very interested in this… sadly, the developer has gone silent since then. Check out the thread

I wonder if we could make “Lock Camera to View” (which is really “Lock Camera to Camera View”) the default? This makes positioning the camera very intuitive for new users and I think it’s the default behavior one would expect when switching to Camera View.

Without it, new users often get frustrated trying to figure out how to get the camera framed up the way that they want. Having to bring up N properties and find this obscure option before the camera actually moves when you navigate in the Camera View seems just a bit too much.

Thoughts?

1 Like

That option really needs to get out of the N panel. :man_facepalming: Unbelievable.

1 Like

Does it really? All the viewport related camera settings are in the N panel already. While it’s true that that option is about the actual Camera object, it’s still somewhat viewport related, since you’re controlling the camera with the viewport, essentially.

Everything related to the viewport camera manipulation should be in the view menu like in any other 3d software.
This splitting of settings is what makes blender be a tough app to learn. Long time blender users may think this is ok, but it’s not. And not only that, there are settings in the preferences that should be in the view menu also.

It’s sad.

6 Likes

Automatic reloading/refreshing all textures

2 Likes

Oh, my god yes!

I’ve been meaning to suggest this for a while now, but it deserves its own thread.

Also because I think that both bevel weights and crease weights should have a similar color coding!

(The way 2.8 still draws a black center line, with cyan “glow” on both sides of the line is very harsh on the eyes.)

UPDATE: Holy shit! Papercut was already fixed in the latest beta… amazing! I still think the black line in the center gets a little bit in the way of readability, though… :clap::+1:

Capture2 Capture

EDIT: With this, I’m also hoping that there’s a key I haven’t found to goggle overlays on and off. When I search the Keymap for “overlay” it comes up empty.

This one took a little digging into the documentation.
put it under 3D View -> 3D View (Global)
wm.context_toggle
space_data.overlay.show_overlays

5 Likes

I wanted to say that Multi Select Loops should be in a Select > Select Loops menu, but now I realized that Edge Loops command does the same thing? Is there a reason to even have Multi Select Loop?

The answer is in the question. No.

It’s the same thing. Just menu name does not correspond to operator name.

Screenshot

Wow, thank you for the workaround! It worked great. :+1:

The papercut is still definitely that “overlay” should be a searchable word for that setting. :slight_smile:

Shift Alt Z is the default I think

Thank you for pointing that out! But… why the heck is it named “Context Toggle” instead of “Overlay Toggle”?

Also, I just remapped it to the key under Esc (§ on my Swedish keyboard although Blender thinks it’s \ and doesn’t understand åäö I just noticed)… who the heck wants to reach for three keys for something that you might do several times a minute while modeling?

Still a papercut that has room for improbement, imo. :wink:

Imho the default focus for the (text)cursor in the ‘Save’ and ‘Save As’ dialog should be in the filename field. You should be able to hit Ctrl+S, or Shift+Ctrl+S and start typing the desired filename + press enter to save. Currently keystrokes end up nowhere.

6 Likes