Gradient vertex color for proportional editing

Maybe it could be themable ?

2 Likes

Sorry for late respond, yeah it doesn’t use blue channel, it is working top to down as red -> yellow (full red and green) -> green

1 Like

Thank you for suggestion, I will try to handle it.

2 Likes

Hey, I just wanted to know what is missing in this to be in 2.8 ? :smiley:

8 Likes

Looks pretty cool and useful.

4 Likes

can you apply gradient coloring to faces as well? seeing falloff on vertex only isn’t that informative imo.

4 Likes

I would love to see this in 2.8 !

8 Likes

Nice! I was wondering about this. Is this going to be included in future releases of blender or are you doing it as an addon?

2 Likes

Any news on this awesome addition?

4 Likes

Not a fan of Maya but this is a very good idea , especially for ultra complex geometry.

1 Like

what an amazing addition to blender 2.8 !!! any news in the dev of this ?
i hope the project is not dead :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

in maya they can even customize the field with a colorramp

Also this could be amazing if we can have a highlight on the object mode too. Object outliner colored depending on the proportional weightfield

@feedbackex This seems like a worthwhile addition.

When you are ready, you can submit the code as a patch on developer.blender.org. Then it can be reviewed.

15 Likes

as no patch was submitted as far as I know I thought this might be an interessting exercise, especially as there where some hints & pointers by brecht.

adding it here wasn’t all that complicated - but I need some help on improving the drawing. What I have now is a simple gradient according to the proportional editing factor. This works fine on edge & face modes, but on vertex mode the vert dots get painted over, which makes the whole thing very ugly.

so - any ideas how to adress this? would be appreciated :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Awesome work!

You should better submit the patch and then reviewers will point out what to fix and how to do this. This way patch will be finished faster.

This is really awesome! I hope you submit the code very soon so that it will be integrated in blender and everyone can use it. I’ve been looking for this a while now and you would make Blender definitely better with this.

woaw im impressed, in maya they really put the proportional selection to the next level

dream to see this in blender
6 Likes

The selectable gradient colors is a really nice, feature, because maybe not everyone wants them same (especially with the theme support already in Blender).

2 Likes

I tried to do a compressed spring like this in Maya, but it failed me:

PS: Since maya doesn’t have a “connected” feature, I used the Volume option, it still didn’t work.
Therefore I prefer Blender’s proportional editing!

Maya has a ‘surface’ mode, which is the same as Blender’s ‘connected’ mode, except it computes geodesic distance instead of ‘naive’ point-to-point distance. I would expect it to work in your case, actually.

2 Likes