Blender is moving in the wrong direction

What if a 2.8 blender were not the same as it is now, but more hardcore than 2.4. This would be very useful to those like the author of this topic, and this would upset all students who do not want to learn 3D, but want to immediately poke buttons. And then, you would come to this forum and write the topic: “Blender 2.8 is moving in the wrong direction”, and I would answer you:
“The blender is for the pros, not for you. You still have 2.79. You can use it legally.”

This topic is very important. Few people understand this. When people point to specific problems, many agree, but when you talk about the ideology that leads to such problems, everyone considers you an idiot.

A Blender is for Everyone?
For whom exactly? I have a neighbor, she’s 93 years old, a blender for her too? She needs to make a lot of changes to make her more comfortable working. After all, there is money and time for this. Need to add three large buttons to the interface:
1) call grandchildren
2) to suspect a cat
3) call an ambulance
And remove all other buttons from the interface, as they bother her!

Blender is a 3D editor. If he does not develop as a 3D editor, if in his development he does not rely on the many years of experience of real pros, then he is moving in the wrong direction.

If the manufacturers of your toothpaste start adding detergent because “toothpaste is for everyone!” And someone wants to use it to wash clothes, how will you respond?

1 Like

C’mon! This is debating for the love of debating! Blender is for everyone means it aims to fit to any people from all around the world and about all ages. Obviously your 93yo neighbor is at the extreme of the range, as well as my 5yo son.
Make an average, type less.

As a devil’s advocate I may freely translate “This topic is very important. Few people agree with this.”

6 Likes

I am not a professional designer but I use Blender almost every day.
When I first started it took me 3 months to be able to produce anything useful with Blender.
It was a steep learning curve for me.
I have tried 2.8 hoping that it would be easier and quicker, but for me it’s not.
I can’t invest another 3 months learning a new interface, sorry.

1 Like

If you know enough blender 2.7x, it takes you at most 2-3 days to get back with blender 2.8 at the same (and better) level
There is no need for another 3 months to get rid of it.
With another 3 months of good work you have the potential to become a little guru.

if you use bòender every day, within 4-5 days you will no longer want to reuse blender 2.7x, this is a fact, concrete improvements are in the light of day.

blender 2.81 is specifically more easier and quicker. (especially reordered to be more coherent and intuitive among the various tools)
yours is just a psychological refusal to adapt to the new environment.

with these playlist of video tutorials in a couple of hours you’re back on track even if you wouldn’t have done 3D of any kind in your life. :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve been warning about this, I wrote that there would be a community split. There is one simple rule when updating software. You can’t just throw the old out for the new. You need to keep both and let users decide what to use. And check if the new is even working out like intended. I like the direction blender is going with becoming easier to use but it shouldn’t remove features that are established already. Just add options for different usage.

Blender allow the old way to work, the only problem, for my pov, is that they drop the T-shelf and it break a lot the users experience.

Thank you for your input. Although I am not a professional graphics designer I am a professional software designer and implementer with over 5 decades of experience. I know a poor design when I see one. It should be easy to do easy things. I have seen many products fail because someone in marketing decided the product needed a new and shiny interface and thought it would be ok to radically change the look and feel of the interface.

1 Like

These are your personal impressions and personal tastes, blender is experiencing one of its most appreciated periods, the choices that have been made are approaching many new CGI professionals.

Rather if you want to make a serious criticism, make explicit what does not convince you.

take note that the change is completely apparent, especially in workflow … to re-adapt you need an hour of patience if you know blender 2.7x well

1 Like

Oh, boy.

I’ve recently been witnessing a complete beginner learning Blender, which made me think of this thread. Frankly it’s unbelievably infuriating how conservative Blender still is. Blender is still far, far, faaaaaaar from being beginner friendly, and still way, way waaaay too catering to veteran users.

Veteran users know how to adapt the program to suit their needs and get plugins for the stuff they can’t adapt. Beginner users are just completely left out in the cold, when it comes to many Blender features.

Blender has just begun to move in the right direction, but it still has an extremely long road ahead of it.

Sorry, just had to vent.

8 Likes

A blender becomes popular because it becomes more accessible to the masses, friendlier for beginners, etc. But the massive soft and the professional soft, these are two ends of the same scale. The needs of beginners and the needs of pros are two different things.

Does a blender try to look like industry standards? But who determined that these industry standards are optimal? A crowd of schoolchildren who study software from the video tutorials of other same schoolchildren?

The new blender is mainly enjoyed by those who cannot really work well in the old one (2.3 - 2.7). They have nothing to compare their experience with. This is silly.
And it’s not that 2.8 is bad! The fact is that it is worse than it could be, because developers follow the crowd.

It’s the thread of the always same 5 people who regularly moan how everything was better before… don’t bother :expressionless:

2 Likes

In my day a Blender would walk to school every day in the snow, 10 miles each way, uphill in both directions. And we liked it that way.

9 Likes

I don’t understand, if you move the sidebar and hide the toolbar the program is the same with a few changes in the hotkeys. I can agree that in the first steps blenders 2.8 was different, but now…

You’re just too used to the old/tough way of doing things in blender. lol

Or maybe you just can’t understand the obvious things, and try to explain to yourself someone’s indignation with some things that are quite simple and understandable to you? Type: “used to be better.”

I wrote many times, but you don’t notice it, THE BLENDER IS CHANGING - THIS IS GOOD! I AM FOR CHANGE! And I use 2.8 from the earliest builds, and have long lost the habit of 2.7. And I have long rewritten all my tools under 2.8. The 2.8 interface (buttons, lists, and other widgets) is great. Although with colored icons, at least with monochrome, even without icons. A lot is changing for the better. BUT!!! Even more is not just changing, but is being frankly done to attract new users. The blender tries to be convenient for those who are used to working outside the blender. And, ATTENTION !!!, this is presented by you as a positive trend. While there are no clear objective arguments in favor of this opinion. Despite the fact that in this thread there are a lot of arguments that everyone ignores.

Read the first 5 posts of this thread. They very well demonstrate the level of adequacy and the general mood of the community.

And where did you read that used to be better? Do you have vision problems? Or hallucinations?

What does the interface have to do with it?

I agree with you, some changes are to make it easier to new users.

And I think that’s good.

I’ve been using Blender since 2.4x days, more often since 2.5x days, and did a full shift of the studio in 2.78.

2.8x is the same but way way better in many many things, and many of them attract new users, I find many things changed and made Blender more prouductive than before.

I won’t read the full 300 posts of the thread.

Can you please summarize in a few bullets the things you say are made to attract new users but are bad things?
Just out of curiosity because I’m not so sure about those and I’m sure they are scattered all over the thread, because talking in general make things very diffuse, like a subjective feeling more than a fact or actual features (I’m not saying is that :slight_smile: )