Blender is moving in the wrong direction

I spoke loudly against the T-shelf. It was a mess.

1 Like

I agree that it was a mess, now its just beatifully useless.

2 Likes

I guess I also asked for the ability to assign something other than the cursor to left click. So, don’t blame the devs. Blame the people who asked for these changes. Blame the people who didn’t speak up against us when we asked for them.

I agree that there are a lot of abandoned functions now that the keymap has been stripped down; things that you can only get to by searching for them now, which is bad.

perfect, now we have a mess of menus… menus that i cannot use with a tablet. Menus that dont give me access to a hundreds of things. And a sidebar that will be a mess because all addons will go to sidebar, the origin of that problems in the T-shelf. So we have lost the best part of the t-shelf and keep the worst part.

All in the right of the program, without any order or design.

Ten years of muscle memory in the left now need to change to the right because…potato.

1 Like

2.8 is a series and in a beta phase, most of the complains that are in the video are still not 100% solved as far as i know, like the gizmos with selection tools, reshuffled hotkeys…etc so basically mostly about active tools, hotkeys…etc and notl actual functionality and how blender does stuff internally, which is in truth they are all still in development…if you are a professional then stick with 2.79 since it works well…because 2.80 won’t be as polished as 2.79 for a while and it’s not recommended to be use for any production yet.

2 Likes

Lets not get scared. We still can change things to make new users happy and old users glued.
I have posted this in left-click default

Lets start there.

You can do like the ostrich and look the other way and just see a bunch of novice users applauding each change of 2.8 or you can also be sensible and realistic and realize the damage that is being done to faithful blender users for years.

3 Likes

Considering that the loudest are the ones that aren’t happy with the changes. And those that are happy usually don’t participate in those discussions.
I see few people not happy here. Some of you are whining on almost every thread(doesn’t matter if its on the topic) here on the forum about the same thing. I would say that you’re the minority of the minority… statistic anomaly.

I find only those points valid, which the user can’t change them selves. The user should have the ability to change those things them self. As for not liking the defaults it’s just whining. Do it my way or no way waa.

As for those that state that they’ll switch to another software if blender won’t adopt to them, that is just childish.

5 Likes

I think, blender needs to change, to gain more people etc.

I hope, we will not lose the speed and efficiency in this change.
I really hope we will be able to edit the soft as much as possible, with templates for example.
Artist should learn coding, because, with addons, scripts etc, you can speedup a lot the workflow and as a pro, this is something you need.

So, I’m not really afraid about this 2.8, I will change all that I don’t like if it’s possible of course.

10 Likes

People always like to think that they are part of the majority, and that the majority is 99%. And that obviously whoever doesn’t think like him is in some way inferior or a child or a madman…

Of course, then come the surprises.

From my personal and close group of acquaintances what I see is quite different.

• Two have already gone to Maya not to come back (they feel completely insulted, one even abandoned the group of blender we had), another is thinking seriously.
  • Three are very upset about the disappearance of the T-shelf.
  • The rest will continue with blender 2.8 but they are very upset with the usability changes because it has broken all their muscle memory and have some slow things. But anyway the workflow still been better than other programs.
  • Even the most positive of all tells me that using blender 2.8 is causing a pain in the ass.
  • Only one person I know, with whom I have little treatment, has not put any hiccups to 2.8.

Well, man, I don’t think it’s so popular with the users I know.

3 Likes

We can say that blender2.8 at the level of tools and utilities is certainly a huge improvement … but at the level of usability? What exactly have been the improvements for old users?

• Column aligned to the right? It is widely criticized and has been asked by hundreds of people to change because it’s really hard to find something now.
  • Remove T-shelf? Very few people asked for this and very few people liked the change. And yet most of the community has to see the problems caused by this completely unnecessary paradigm shift.
  • Menus in the viewport? quite inferior to T-shelf. It reminds me of the menus of programs like Office, that people avoid to use.
  • Icons? They are more beautiful, yes, but it is well known that it costs a lot to change tab now, because it has eliminated the color and nuances that allow you to differentiate the icons. Nice but not very useful.
  • statusbar? we all know that the first thing we will do in blender2.8 when the final is to hide or ignore it. We pray that the statistics end in the viewport.
  • Topbar? The intentions were very good and is good for newbies, for others, except for sculpture or painting, is only a nuisance due to how it has been implemented in a fixed way without being able to place the user.
  • Pie-menus? They were before and were the demon according to some developers, now the user is forced to use them.
  • Toolbar? is no longer accessible by default, accepting that it is really useless.
  • Context menu? Good idea for people who want it, but why is it mandatory if you want to use the left click?

What are the real improvements in usability?

• Left click of the mouse and some parts of the keymap (which was widely criticized)
  • New Popovers. They are an improvement, but do not add much, just organize otherwise how to access the options.
  • Active Tools, that everyone was delighted with them, before their implementation meant eliminating T-shelf.

Seriously, someone tell me what has improved blender usability because of those changes? Clearly it has improved a lot since the arrival of the left click, but the rest of the changes? I don’t see any real improvements either for new or old users.

I don’t know, maybe there is a master plan in the background where you can see the improvement that all this will bring us. For now I only see limited good ideas that there were before, and the main requests of users for years ignored (pineable windows, stackable editors, change some controls difficult to understand as the lists, …)

6 Likes

I could not disagree with your title more.

The changes the Blender team has made in 2.8 are exactly what was needed. It was, quite frankly, the worst UX, and I would not use it because of the UX.

I have made the switch to it professionally now because of their changes – having used and otherwise evaluated many, many others.

I feel, as others have said, that one adapts or can always tweak the interface, easily, to what you’re used to in the past.

@Zlyx Of course, you are a new user and the interface is focused on that type of users, no matter or take into consideration the users who have been using blender for years, that is the problem. You could have reached something in between without spoiling the fastest workflow I’ve ever seen. You’re enthusiasticwith your new toy, I understand, but they could have made blender better without breaking and changing everything. It is not normal that a user who has been using blender for 10 years, now can directly say in publicly that he has changed so much that he no longer knows how to use it and needs months or years to adapt to the radical changes he has undergone.

3 Likes

Just change the key map, no big deal for god sake

1 Like

@BD3D The keymap of blender 2.79 was stillborn before birth.

1 Like

Please don’t tell “it was the worst UX”, explain why right align column is better than a left aligned column like majority of people wants. Explain why T-shelf must be remove, clone in to the right but without the main utils. Explain why model statics must be in the farthest part of the monitor.

For me it’s really hard to tell that blender had the worst UX, with a few changes is a really good program. And, in my experience teaching to my partners when you change left click and explain the lists controls any user could use blender in few minutes with a good speed, when in maya/max/modo is really hard to obtain that results in half and hour.

And like I told, Blender could have all the improvements for new people without break UX of old users. It’s not a black or white election

4 Likes

some will come and some will go, but blender will stay forever as far as we know :slight_smile:

Just a small suggestion what could fix many workflows:
Map esc to either one of these tools:

1 Like

Esc is meant to cancel actions, not switching tools. Makes no sense.

1 Like

I am testing here and seems to have no conflict, Why would you edit something while baking or rendering something, this makes no sense.
You can assume that a tool is cancellable, that is the standard for most programs, isn’t?