Blender 4.2 - EEVEE-Next Feedback

Try the latest version 4.2 blender release, they fixed the problems with a large number of light sources, in Next there are no restrictions on their number (64 thousand light sources), and in Ivi Legacy it is limited to only 128

And enable Max Shader Compilation Subprocesses in > Preferences > System
This should speed up the compilation of materials many times over

A few months ago Bloom only worked in compositor GPU mode… the CPU one was the old version… which is rather confusing… how is that now?
But here’s my Bloom setup to have it close to legacy:

The color ramp adjusts the bloom color and fade.
…To me I preferred it on the render settings as it was… but I can work with it this way too.
But yeah need the full tree compositor preview always ON… anyway… it’s not bad :slight_smile: …before was good!

The point of having Bloom inside the the compositor is that you can choose how it is composited and it is possible to have it for any render engine.

There were discussion to add a small compositor preset with a few common functionality (vignetting, bloom, distortion etc) eventually right into the viewport shading panel or as compositor setting. This needs some more design and some developer to tackle this.

7 Likes

At least a dedicated Bloom node would be nice… now it’s lost inside the Glare… :neutral_face:
A Bloom node with at least the Legacy features would be great.
The problem is that we were used to be simple and now feels complex…

2 Likes

The old bloom was better in every way. The new one uses the glare node which under certain circumstances introduces posterization and aberration of colors. I reported it as a bug but devs pointed that it was expected behaviour, alas it’s what we have to live with

4 Likes

Feels worse… no point in putting it softly… one can live with it but feels worse.
Legacy bloom gave it that cinematic feeling that this one doesn’t.

5 Likes

It feels less of a choice when it becomes so much more complicated (ironically, by removing it from the Render Properties it gives us even less choice).

There are certain things in blender that make things easier, despite there being a sense of redundancy.
Examples:

• whatever a vector math node does, the same can be done with separate/combine XYZ nodes and a math node
  • Gamma and Exposure are in Render Properties, but also in Compositor

Having all these options actually makes blender so great.

4 Likes

@Sago Feels like @fclem addressed the concers that you just described above:

behold the greatness of the Glare (now with bloom) filter:

1 Like

Strange behavior in simple scene

I must’ve missed the part where @fclem mentioned ‘into the viewport shading panel’.
Then the questions would be:

• how confirmed is this? (from what I read, nothing is fully confirmed yet)
  • would this still require the Compositor to be enabled?
  • until it appears in blender, will 4.2 still be without this functionality?

No need to answer, just throwing it out there.

Mind you, I appreciate the effort to return some of the old functionality. But my concern is that the old system is removed before a proper replacement has arrived.

2 Likes

We don’t have any ETA about a more convenient system.

The current implementation of the Bloom node in compositor is indeed working as expected and can replicate the legacy Bloom, but it needs more setup around the node itself.
We acknowledge that this is less than ideal but will provide the equivalent node setup in the migration notes.

8 Likes

This was fixed a few weeks ago with 4f21b26675

2 Likes

Thanks, it helped! Of course, the results are still different, but again I came across a discrepancy in the operation of HDRI cards. Here is an example of how it works in Cycles and EEVEE next.

1 Like

Great, I missed that one, thank you

I count at least four demonstrable ways in this post:

Where the Bloom node cannot replicate the legacy Bloom

1 Like

One idea I’d like to throw in, since I’d rather have a more customizable system. What about a new tab in the Properties Editor where you add Compositor effects in layers similar to modifiers and constraints? The effects could be compositor node groups marked as assets and select few nodes.

Tried the new 4.2 beta,still very slow compared to eevee legacy :pensive:

3 Likes

If I may ask, by curiosity and to compare, which are your machine specs!? Is it a recent PC?
I have a Ryzen 7 5800X, a RTX 3060 12Gb Vram and 64Gb of System ram and there’s not much diference between legacy and next… it’s really fairly close of each other… at render time Next/4.2 is even faster.

mine is not that new,pretty old actually

i5 3570,GTX 1050 ti 4gb Vram,12gb of system ram and 500gb ssd + 500gb hdd (Blender Installed on the ssd). I’m not expecting any huge performance improvement but I expect that it’ll be as fast/usable as legacy . EEVEE legacy serve me very well

1 Like