Blender 2.8 Wireframes Discussion

I think it’s @zebus3d addon

1 Like

Yes, is my addon ExtraInfo

It was a proposal to be included in blender, but you can see that the developers didn’t listen or didn’t like it because I never received a response.

The first one I did was in c in the blender core and the second one was this addon that is having a lot of success and many downloads.

I understand it’s not a priority right now.

6 Likes

By the way I just updated the addon because I realized that if you changed the “Resolution Scale” of the interface did not fit. I have tried to adapt the best possible position and scale that I could as you change the size of the interface. Those who are interested in this change can download it again now. The last version is 0.0.2.

3 Likes

(Sorry if this has already been posted or there’s a solution for this.)

First off I am glad that wireframe is almost like in 2.7. But it still has its quirks and is far from polished.

Subdued lines:

This is a simple wireframe of a selected object without any outlines or shading.

Why are some of the lines subdued and some brighter (the bright lines are OK/normal)? Every line should be the same. It looks as if there is still some kind of shading going on behind the scenes.

w01

This is the correct rendering of wireframe for comparison:

w02

Another example:

w03

The same problem appears if you display wireframe on a shaded object and select it:

w04

My settings used for the wireframe (wireframe mode):

w05

1 Like

I noticed this too. It could be related to this already filed issue I found while searching: https://developer.blender.org/T63172

Yes, we asked for this, because AA causes too much problems.
Personnaly, I hate new wires.
They are thick, ugly, inconsistent, have unnecessare shading, broken AA and creepy wire/Xray modes.
They are making modeling simply impossible.

5 Likes

This is why thick ribs are bad, especially if you remove anti-aliasing. (X-Ray 0)

1 Like

how did you get the mesh nformation into the viewport? is there a option for this or did you hack it in yourself?

I don’t understand what you are talking about. There is nothing on the screenshots.

here Blender 2.8 Wireframes Discussion

this is exaclty what i tried to tell people since changes were made to the wireframes but got bumped by some users, the new ones are not helpful at all, they were much better in alpha 2 stage IMO,i still use it because of that, the new ones are like having a shading effect based on the 3d view orientation that affects both wire/xray modes.

5 Likes

It was in this earlier post of yours

@zebus3d posted link to addon

1 Like

I have seen a bug, I don’t have screenshot, where I can see the poligons interior edges.

Edit: Ok, I see that when I’m in sculpt mode and activate wireframe (without dyntopo)

Not sure if it was mentioned before but I do miss one aspect of the earlier wireframes where one could dial in the opacity of the subdivided edges using the wireframe slider in the overlay popup.
In the current builds, I have a hard time finding a use for the slider. At least in an earlier build, it was fading out edges making it visually more pleasing.
Anyway, here is the example of the subdiv wireframes. Left is the current build and on the right using a build from february 14th.

7 Likes

The february 14th one looks soo nice!

Is it still just randomly removing edges using that wireframe slider? I mean, that was just so hilariously bad that I just stopped using it. It can’t get changed fast enough.

It did remove edges based on the curvature as it is now but looked nicer as it faded it out. The subdiv look as you can see above was only in the slider range between .9ish and .99 plus you had to enable “Optimal Display” in the subdiv modifier.

The way wireframe overlays were displayed around that time of the year was simply perfect. Both beautiful and useful. You could clearly see topology, understand what came from the SubSurf modifier and what came from the model, and still - due to nice angle fading - see the model underneath. I believe the whole discussion around making it like 2.79 or closer to 2.79 that people tend to bring up sidetracked and confused the developers.

There was a vision about what to achieve with new drawing styles. There was also a clear picture (presentation of Mike Erwin at BCon) as of WHY to change it. Don’t be shy to follow that vision.

The wireframe still doesn’t look good when the lines line up with the grid (with xray 0).

4 Likes

Make noise on this bug I think – not sure if there’s others but it’s the one I found during a search: ⚓ T63172 Wireframe rendering of edges in edit mode is broken (shading of lines is dependent on viewing angle)

Edit: Eh, looks like you’re already there :slight_smile: