Blender 2.8 Wireframes Discussion

guys, is it my impression or when we move the mesh away from view the dots (and the edges) remain thick?
why doesn’t everything get smaller together with the proportions of the object?

it is not normal that the object becomes all black
what opinion do you have on this ??
(blender last build)

I can guess that the dots do not shrink to facilitate the selection … but if it becomes all black, it is useless

I think we could get a more eye candy result by simply adding a function that scales the size of the dots every few “distance sizes” from the view

WIREFRAME2

11 Likes

Hello, just tested this 2019-05-17 build
And it awesome!

I Love how you, guys, handled it!
Thank you very much, Clément. Very appreciate you hard work to deliver this

4 Likes

If the Wireframe slider now in addition to this change would dim the wires instead of turning them off entirely based on the angle, that would be the magic bullet.

10 Likes

sorry Im missing something , what changed with the daily build ?

actually it could happened earlier (didn’t check it for a couple of weeks). Proper display of the edges, correct anti aliasing - now it is as comfortable to work with as it was in 2.79

Well, people who do low-poly modeling would benefit very much from keeping the things like it is, which means that selection is just as easy, regardless of zoom.

But I see your point, so I think there should be a slider (graph) in the theme settings perhaps, for vertex size scaling.

1 Like

Just to chime in… @billrey the wireframe in vertex selection mode seems to show edges very dim and undefined as opposed to 2.79.

It might be intentional (edges not that visible in vertex selection mode) but if it is, could there be a slider to disable it? I often work in vertex mode to select loops and do lots of other stuff and this subconsciously confuses me.

2.79 VERTEX

2.79 EDGES

2.8 VERTEX (edges are almost invisible)

2.8 EDGES (visible pretty well)

2 Likes

There seems to be an issue that makes the selected vertices darker than what you set in the theme, which reduces contrast:

Theme on the left, selected vertex on the right:

I’ll investigate

6 Likes

@AdamPreisler is right
I put the same colors that are used in Maya
The tops are very thin. When modeling by drawings, problems may arise.

I wanted to see the opportunity to change the thickness of the ribs in the editing mode.

ve

3 Likes

Completely agreed.
An issue - vertex mode is not for “viewing vertices”, but for editing edges/topology by corner nodes called vertices, so it will be much better, if vertex mode will have edge mode’s wire thickness (to become thicker) instead of face mode’s.

Currently vertex mode is looking more like field of vertices, or even pointcloud, it is hard to view topological connections between them on a dense meshes both in organic and architectural modeling.

Here is mockup with both wire thickness, thicken wires allows to see topology properly in vertex mode:

7 Likes

i just compiled blender and surprisingly Clément just did an amazing improvements :+1: ,the wireframes are now much better both in solid and Wireframe modes, just wait until the next build :slight_smile:

6 Likes

hmm, not sure about that. something weird is happening (solid mode)
first of all, the edges are now more prominent in vertex mode? (select all and then compare) why is that?
second, select an edge loop in vertex mode and look closely, you can barely see the vertices in that loop

I hope they fix those issues

it’s just the default theme needs tweaking i think, here i did what u suggested on my custom theme and it looks good. the edges are consistent & in solid/wire too.

tweaking the theme minimizes the issue a bit ofc, but now you can’t barely tell what’s your active vertex lol. besides, that new studio light is a little flat, lacks contrast.

i think blender should totally change the faces color and go with something more like c4d or maya, they are more conflict free. otherwise they will be tweaking it forever

Feels like blender is deciding for me that edges are irrelevant in vertex mode.

9 Likes

well it works for me since i don’t use the default theme or the studio light and i can tell which active vertex…etc since it’s a different color(cyan) it’s just not in the gif…but i agree they need to improve it for the default…going with C4D or maya’s shading technique might require changes to how geometry works too since blender is unique in that part.

not sure what you mean. no changing of shading is needed, tweaking the theme is enough

i thought u meant something like ths, as far as i know this is what maya has! it shows only the colors for the selected component, so if u select 4 verts it doesn’t select their corresponding edges/face, it gives u a clear indication of the mode you are in.

EDIT: oh I forgot that they are now overlays in 2.80 u can hide them too, so we can have this without any big changes :slight_smile:

You only need go to overlays and activate edges

2 Likes

That toggle fixed all my gripes.

Thanks!