The meeting will be on 2023-05-04T16:00:00Z. It is open for everybody interested to join on Google Meet (link below).
Present: Adi Sage, Brad Clark, Christoph Lendenfeld, Daniel Salazar, Denys Hsu, Eduardo Rubio, Harley Acheson, Ivan Cappiello, Jason Schleifer, Jeremy Bot, Marc, MohammadHossein Jamshidi, Nate Rupsis, Nathan Vegdahl, Nitin Rawat, Omer Almadani, Sybren Stüvel, Tal Hershkovich, Wayde Moss
People present are referred to by first name for brevity. Others are referred to by full name.
- Google Meet. Note that there are no recordings of the meeting. This way everybody is free to say or show anything.
- A&R Module Meetings agenda for inclusion in your own calendar
- Previous and next meeting notes
- Issues & Pull Requests
- #animation-module chat channel
Since the Last Meeting / Announcements
- The devtalk forum has been reorganised (announcement and new rules)
- For developers: #75956: Policy to change clang-format brace placement
- Julien Kaspar asked for feedback on Draw, Paint & Sculpting Keymap Proposal - Feedback Request
- #104724: Animation: Add in Parent space alignment option to the Transform Orientation gizmo
#107089: Anim: add low-level function for simple FCurve key deduplication
- Includes promise for little API change in Blender 4.0: #107126: Make FCurve.update() also deduplicate keys
- #106959: Animation: make properties from motion path library overrideable
- #107223: Fix #95855: prioritize selecting keys on active fcurve
- #104949: Allow renaming F-curve modifier
- #106700: Core: Add sub-types for float-type custom properties
Short-term goals / Ongoing Work
#107030: action.frame_range span always >=1 when there’s only 1 key frame in it.
- Marked for the ‘Blender 4.0’ milestone, as changing this will introduce an incompatibility. Taken off the short-term goal list.
#99113: Add Selection functionality to weight painting mode
- Christoph working on Face loop select.
#107281: Fix #100718: NLA Hold Forward Inconsistency
- Marked for the 3.6 milestone.
- Christoph studied overlays & rendering over the weekend, in preparation for adding onion skinning to Blender.
Patch Review & Decision Time
- Suggestion by Bastien Montagne: make NLA track names unique (within the scope of the owning datablock). Currently they are not, which means the library overrides system has to work with indices, which is fragile at best.
- Module agrees it’s good to have.
- Nate can look into it.
#103802: Scaling keys in dope sheet is different from graph editor (ignores handles, esp, noticable when scaling negative)
- Dope Sheet should scale the handles as well
- Graph Editor should scale handles when they are selected, otherwise just move them without scaling.
Sybren suggests better selection tools, module agrees those are good to have:
- Select/deselect handles of selected keys.
- Select those keys that have selected handles.
- Potentially also operators that combines those (‘move selection to handles’, ‘move selection to keys’).
- Nathan: design task needed for how selection and moving/scaling keys should interact. For example to list all the corner cases (like graph editor with handles turned invisible) and come up with a proper solution.
- Sybren: Maybe the scaling operator should just always scale handles, regardless of selection. And then have another operator for handle-less retiming operations?
Animation Data proposal by Nathan Vegdahl
Nathan presented a propsal for a new animation data system: slides
- The ‘Needs Docs’ column still has items, some have been waiting two months.
#106571: WIP: initial vertical shuffle code
- There is a test build!
The next meeting will be on Thursday 2023-05-11T16:00:00Z. Again it will be open for everybody who’s interested. The provisionary meeting agenda will be linked in the #animation-module channel before the meeting.