2023-03-23 Pipeline, Assets & I/O Meeting

Everyone is welcome on the Google Meet linked below every other Thursday, at 17:00 CEST.

Present: Bastien Montagne, Matt McLin, Peter Baintner, Thomas Dinges

The meeting covers the pipeline & I/O module in a broader sense, including some topics hosted in other modules (e.g. some I/O python add-ons, or overrides and .blend file I/O from the Core module).

Links

USD

3.5:

• Status of USD seems to be OK.
  • The manual still need some updates (there is nothing about the newly supported USDZ format e.g.).

3.6:

• The USD library should be updated to the 23.02 version.
  • There is still no task in the USD project summarizing the targets for 3.6.
  • Hydra: It is still unclear whether this project is a realistic target for 3.6.
    • Matt is helping investigating issues with the Metal delegate.
    • MaterialX to support complex shaders interoperability with Cycles?

Peter asked about more ambitious plans for USD integration in Blender, like the Collection I/O design, overrides… There is no concrete answers on these topics currently, they need to be designed first, a workshop would likely be a good idea for it.

Other

Thomas reminds about the compatibility breaking task for 4.0. It’s useful to have an overview of all scheduled breaking changes in one place.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Thursday 06th April, 17:00 CEST/Amsterdam time (your local time: 2023-04-06T15:00:00Z).

The provisional meeting agenda will be linked in the #pipeline-assets-io-module channel before the meeting.

6 Likes