Pie menus and keymaps

So, I will not lie, I don’t like the new keymap because it affects directly my workflow but people seem to love it, specially the way to change modes, but I want to make a suggestion.

I read here that some people even loving the new 1 2 3 4 … to change modes still feel a strong habit of trying to press Tab to go to edit.

Why not making a Tab pie menu, Pie menus are consistent, an operator is always displayed in certain place in the pie so will be easy to remember?
Down = Edit
Up = Object
Left = Weight
Right = Sculpt
So on…
Some people will say that it requires two clicks instead of one but the truth is not, you don’t need to click the button, holding tab, dragging the mouse and releasing tab will behave like a click!

And with the removal of layers:
I used to use the number keys to easily toggle the layers visibility but its seems to not be valid, so why not instead of having to go to the outliner to change the collections visibility, we put the visibility icons together on the Move menu (In a safe place, maybe a second row to avoid accidentaly moving objects to wrong collections of course)!

The sculptmode also used the number keys to change brushes, if the plan is to keep this mode switch on those numbers, would be usefull to make a Specials menu for sculpt mode with all the brushes there so we can just press “W” and a popup appears with the brushes to select.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: New keymap/UI - personal feedback