Performance - Speed up workflow- in Blender

not just for my sake, also for the devs. Random proposals don’t belong here!

Recently in my new studio I switched to Blender from C4D. I’m quite happy about all possibilities that Blender offers to me, and the fact that at some day when I just started to learn Blender I just wrote a suggestion about bevels in Blender and compared it with ones that C4D has, and now my suggestion is implemented in Blender… it’s just some miracle! Huge thanks to Howard Trickey!!!
And now I hope that maybe I will be heard one more time and this features will be implemented as well =)

• Abiliti to apply modificators to the collections, or parent meshes to something and apply modificator to this parent object, so that it will affect all children objects. It gives you opportunity to use only one bevel modifier for example and it will affect all meshes that you need. No need to copy atributes from one mesh to another, or add modifiers to every single new mesh.

• Pleeeeeease add the ability to “Offset Edge Slide” to use it only at one side from the selected edge/loop.

You can’t even imagine how it can increase your speed in modelling =) I’m suffering without this function in Blender. Or it can be added to the simple slide operation (g-g) and it will be eve better. So you press G-G and then while draging your loop you press ctrl and it creates duplicate and leaves the original loop at the start position. But then slide on N-gones needs to be improved cuz sometimes it creates really strange effect (image below). Parameter “Even” not helps. And Offset Edge Slide in the same case works better.

• Think its been asked already quite much times, but at some days maybe someone will do this =) Ability to duplicate objects while moving them with pressed ctrl (or what ever key). This simple stuff saves you some miliseconds, but in the whole day it ends up in a reasonable time and this workflow is just much more convinient.

• Ability to exclude some operations from the history, to be able to use Shift+R comand more convinient. For example I think that Shift+R comand should ignore Undo comand. Real case- I use Merge At Last comand quite often to merge points, it’s not so cool to each time press alt+m and confirm it with mouse click, so after first use I start to press shift+r cuz i dont move my hand to another place while pressing this hotkey and it’s quicker. But sometimes I merge points to wrong position and I want to undo it and, select another target and continue my process with shift+r. But it’s already treat Undo as the last operation.
    Another case- I select loop by selecting first edge and then the last edge pressing ctrl. (1st img), I apply bevel (2), then I select next loop the same way (3) and I want to press shift+r to create the same bevel as on first loop, but it’s just deselecting the last edge instead (4)

If it’s reasonable question, than we can research what else can be excluded from the Shift+R memory.
    Or… maybe there can be an option to choose from a several last comands.

• And previous sentence brings me to the idea to store different presets of some comands. For example a few presets of bevels with different width and segments amount. To be able to return to this preset at any time and make exactly the same bevel that you did before for like 100 operations ago.
    Yeah I know that I can use modificators and set the bevel weight for edges… But rely on modificators is not so good when you have a huge scene and when you completely sure about what you doing. Tons of modificators can hugely decrease your perfomance, while using destructive method better for performance. Especially when we have MeshMachine and its no longer a problem to return to some bevels and change them easily.

That’s all for now, but I have more ideas, so I’ll be back when I’ll have time to formulate and present ideas better.
I believe that together we can make Blender the best software in the world in every single aspects and there will be no even smallest weaknesses in Blender compared to the other softwares =)

Requested many times. The answer usually is “wait for everything nodes”. :frowning:

Haha. Yes, one of the most powerful modeling tools.
I already tried everything to have that but no luck unfortunately.
https://blenderartists.org/t/edge-slide-tool-improvement-proposal/1114244
https://blender.community/c/rightclickselect/QDbbbc/

Another one requested to death. No luck lol…

You can actually do the mayor part of that things

• Modifier parent will be for everything nodes.

• You can duplicate with the hotkey that you want, only change the shorcut from shift D to the combo that you preffer.

• You can do macros, actually you can do with some addons or manually.

• The edge slide is similar to Alt+V Rip edges. Press G to change the way to create geometry

• Thatis true that redo operation needs a polish.

1 Like

you are so right, this won’t help the dev at all

Guys, but do you think devs are so stupid that they start following a thread forcibly if they’re not interested?

If they are interested they read it, otherwise, they stop following it and go beyond …
Are you struggling to understand certain simple concepts?

1 Like

Are you struggling to understand certain simple concepts?

I’d point out that this forum’s description is also a simple concept. “This is a forum for contributors to ask questions and discuss Blender development and documentation, and to gather feedback on ongoing development.”

It goes on to say that "for feature requests, please use rightclickselect.com. For questions about how to use Blender, ask on one of the community forums.

I don’t know what annoys some of this thread,
maybe it’s a cultural issue that is different from mine,
but what I see of the majority of “requests” more than feature requests is much more polishing and repair of small-medium discomforts that speed up and make workflow more convenient.

I saw the title was changed … maybe now it disturbs less

Strange that people don’t understand why is this tool so useful =) We are not trying to make something bad for Blender, we just have experience on working in different softwares and we can compare the best sides from each of them. I understand that developers who make this tools not always modeling. So maybe for them it’s not so clearly why this tool is musthave! But other people who work in blender and model something… they should understand it!

And about duplicating while moving- I ended up with just deleting “move” command from the “mesh.duplicate”. It’s not completely what I wanted, but it’s better in my opinion. You can try it. This way if you work with gizmo, it’s still on the screen after duplication, so you can move mesh easily and not to choose axis by pressing one more hotkey.

Why it is not helping?

Yeah, that’s because blender doesn’t have it. This is one of those features that people need to use to understand, otherwise it’s impossible.

Still not good enough, unfortunately.

Only real pro modelers know the power of this tool. When I discovered it, everything changed.

You’ll have a hard time to convince people here.
Modeling in blender is more based on hacks, the modeling tools themselves are basic most of the times.

Honestly, I think this whole slide discussion have no sense.

There is in blender a tool practically the same as the 4D cinema slide, rip tool, which basically does the same as the one you decide with very small differences, but quite a lot in terms of usability. And instead of asking for this tool to be improved, you ask for a completely new tool.

Isn’t it easier to ask for a few usability changes to @ideasman42 and @billrey ? instead of asking for a completely new tool?

So, if actually we have this selected.

if we press Alt+V, with the mouse in the right triangle, we obtain this

But if we press G using the tool it changes to it

and If we press E using the tool we obtain this

But it is created a bad mesh in the bottom (see the center with a face with zero area)

So, to use properly the tool we need to

• move the pov to see the bottom of the object
  • put the mouse in the correct place, at the right but out of the object
  • press G
  • press E

And then we obtain this, what is the good solution

So. Could the behaviour be changed to access all that things with a hotkey inside the tool instead of use the cursor position, and be able to configure the main shortcut to obtain all this things by default with only call the rip tool?

Maybe the selection side could be solved with the value, -1 to zero for one side of the loop, 1 to the other side of the loop. And the way to select way to create the zero area face with a simple hotkey.

also, like second request, a parameter that allow that in the last solution no edge was created and only obtain a n-gone of five faces

They are not asking for a new tool. This is a feature of a proper slide tool.
Have you checked the links above? They discussed the rip tool there already, it’s not the same thing.

This feature also has an option to preserve curvature, which is also mandatory on a slide tool.

Those two things should ship with the slide tool, not anywhere else.

1 Like

No, they didn’t. If you check this you will see that the guy that begin this discussion it won’t mention the rip tool and the rest of people talk about the need of the slide tool, ignoring the fact that the rip tool guve same results, nobody talked about improvements in the actual tool except noki.

Oh, you really don’t understand what’s going on here.

Ok, I got it, thanks. Of course it’s doesn’t matter how to call this tool Rip or Slide… And now when you showed this, I realize that ok it can be used, the only thing is that usability of this tool can be improved, cuz for some reason it looks not only on the place where is your cursor, but also the angle to the face that you pointing. So it’s not clear how you need to rotate your view to get this result without zero polygon.

1 Like

" just make blender perform better in edit mode ",or that there are just limitations with blender, yet I know I read on blenderartists as just where I read it, EX; that 'performance ‘fixes’ for edit& performance issues may not come till 2.82 oreven later…
That other software does a better job, ya for some things,but I and other DEPEND on blender bail us out( we can wait, IF we know its coming…) from the hurtful dependenies that the ugly system of capitalism , too often for too many of us hurl upon our heads.

I use blender daily and tough have ONE project, 2.5 mil tri , I had to decimate down to 495K which STILL takes the .blend file to load in 20 second or so. Is that normal ?

going INTO edit mode takes literally ages, seemingly so while I wait,so forget about actual use OF edit mode :wink:

all fine, IF I know this edit mode mess for large objects, the viewport fix is coming…

Still then 3dsmax (2020 anyway) handles it nicely but I’m not rich so, but I’d rather be using blender, I very much enjoy overall the new features, just lovely . But its stopping me in my tracks on my main project,

will the editor /perf ever rise to what I’m seeing elsewhere or am I essentially relegated to sticking with <= 80k ish meshes?

Thanks dev team for all your hard work, better with blender warts and all that without it. Guess time will tell how long that holds out if edit /perf just can’t be addressed…

Just to be fair, I do NOT have a super high end asit were rig, but its yet to fail me in using ue4 , meshmixer or as I like, most any high end gaming, having said its NOT super high end,its this for fairness: i5-3570 8gb ram (yes I know) , 256gb ssd and gtx 950 2gb.

I know cpu could be higher, but anywhere else is HOLDING its own incredibly well, and yes GPU could be better but again its holding well. Will my 8gb hold blender back or is this all the wait for 2.82+ for edit/perf. fixes…

1 Like

Nice GIF)
What software is it from?
Currently in Blender it got just static representation as an Edge Flow

UPD, got it, C4D)