Particle Nodes UI

This may sound like a silly question, but can we expect this new system to be compatible with dynamic painting?

3 Likes

Particle nodes and all subsequent nodes are better in a unified node editor interface, such as ice and bifrst!

1 Like

can you explain this in futher detail?

1 Like

Nice one! Would you like to share your example? Canā€™t see all nodes in your screenshot :slight_smile:

Hereā€™s the whole setup:

Wouldā€™ve been better to use more groups to keep it tidier, but I just wanted to get it done :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I hope that the group output and particle simulation can be integrated into one interface, and it is better to have a unified output node! Maybe I donā€™t know how the group works.

1 Like

Dynamic Paint is a simulation feature which is very cool.
You have generally two objects:

A Brush and a Canvas.

Brush can be a mesh or particle system.

Canvas can have 4 different results. One can ā€œpaintā€:

• Color
  • Displacement
  • Vertex Weight
  • Wave (somewhat similar to the wave modifier)

So, with Dynamic paint, for instance, one can create displacement on a mesh with particles, or simulate a ripple effect on surface for rainning effects, etc.

2 Likes

Could the instances of an input start counting at 0 instead of 1 ?
Execute on Birth 0
Execute on Birth 1ā€¦

It just feels off to start counting at 1 for computer related tasks.

Wow, thatā€™s really complex for a thing that can be done with a few clicks and a force as of today, I wonder if it can be simplified, I had no time lately to play with all this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe:
Execute on Birth
Then
Then
ā€¦
What is the point of numbers other that to explain that the execution is in sequence?

Yeah, itā€™s complex, but I think the idea with these particle nodes is to allow really deep access to all possible parameters, and then build a nice set of pre-made node groups (think principled BSDF in the material nodes, etc) for all the people who donā€™t like to swim in the node sea. That brings best of both worlds: fine-grained control over everything when needed, and ease of use for the simpler tasks :slightly_smiling_face:

ā€¦Reading your comment again, I realise you mightā€™ve meant to ask if my setup could be simplified with the existing system. Thatā€™s definitely possible, I have no idea if my attempt was the most succint one :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Having seen that nodes setup, trembling terrified in my seat right nowā€¦

Yes yes, I know :slight_smile:

Iā€™m not talking about the complexity of particle nodes, what I mean is that there may be a way to make it simpler in particle nodes. (Or maybe not :slight_smile: )

But I agree with that vision, having low level access to be able to do whatever you want, and having compounds for easier use :slight_smile:

EDIT: and now is my re-read turnā€¦ and I saw that you realized about that after a re-read hahaha

1 Like

Nah, donā€™t worry is much simpler than what you think, thatā€™s for sure, you just have to understand the logic beneath and you will be able to reproduce it in a blink :slight_smile:

1 Like

@DimitriBastos yes.

@semaphore That sounds like a good idea, will try that.

Regarding the complexity in the node setup: Simulations like this are complex to build, but only if you do it using only primitive nodes (most nodes currently are very simple). As has been said a couple of times, the idea is to have builtin node groups that simplify many common tasks. For example, I think the entire node setup above could be put into a single node group for easy reusability.

The issue is that the asset project is not done yet, so I cannot easily share groups with Blender. I was thinking about providing a separate .blend file in this thread that people can use node groups from.

11 Likes

Do you know if there is any online upload/download functionality planed for the asset project?

This is the latest information i have: https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2019-October/050222.html

4 Likes

Thx @AleksiTuomela for the screenshot, I tried to rebuild your setup and put everything into groups.

I think something like this will be high-level in the future, four nodes to set up something like this.
Only two parameters are animated. (Shift and the shift-strength)
All of this could also be in just one group if wanted.

@jacqueslucke Cloud asset manager sounds nice. For now we can use google drive to share some nodetrees, you guys can upload your blends to this folder if you want. But please donā€™t delete and donā€™t upload crap or super big files.

I will also put custom builds into this folder for windows, and will put the date to the file, so you can be sure that it will work with the belonging build.

LINK: https://bit.ly/2Q7tVXl

Is it already possible to assign a shortcut for switching/enter the selected nodegroup?

9 Likes

Thank you Mr. Jacqueslucke for your great work! Simplifying many common tasks and low-level access can perform whatever you want. The ultimate node is that people at different levels can use and further learn this system, which is great!

1 Like

I got Bparticles to work with my midi pianoroll script :slight_smile: Well, it still takes some manual work, but this sort of music visualisation is something Iā€™ve been dreaming about for a long time!

Sorry about the Twitter link, the file was apparently too big to upload hereā€¦

6 Likes