run%20script_3
run%20script_3BIG

or:
run%20script_2

run%20script_2BIG

1 Like

Maybe better is a braces inside a play

1 Like

Tempting, but it won’t be legible enough - the space inside the triangle is way too small.

I would also go with the normal play-symbol but wouldn’t mind if the button would just say “Run”. I’m not a big fan of complex icons that try to combine various elements or action in one tiny symbol. Personally I would be more confused with an icon that has brackets or a gear to run a script or something like that than with a simple play button. Tho it would resemble the action as a whole “Run Script” it isn’t clear at first sight and could be mistaken for another action like “Format Code” which would not be the case with the play-button (even tho it appears in other views for different actions).

2 Likes

Interesting ideas here.

Here’s one more: the play icon inside a document.
(but properly no room for that)

It could fit like this:

runscript

9 Likes

There are some good ideas here, but really it seems overkill to make an icon for it. The simple text “Run Script” is not that long and communicates with zero ambiguity. “Run” also works if space is really that much of an issue.

2 Likes

I like the one on the left.

2 Likes

The thing is that text buttons in headers have been removed from headers all over Blender 2.80 except New/Open and Run Script, so either Run Script should only be in the menu or it should be an icon button - at least if consistency is a thing.

@tintwotin (AND ALL OTHERS)
The push for tiny icons is either about resent of language ( while oblivious to the neuroscience that has determined that if the involved concept is a word, turning the word into a picture means adding another layer of removal - and slow down of mental processing ) . . . OR, it’s to maximize screen-space with ‘elegant design’ - which is absurd for a software that REQUIRES expensive graphics boards that all have multiple monitor support. Many old timers did pro work 30 years ago with a monitor for panels, a monitor for ‘screen’ display, and a monitor connected to a video out board (at whatever resolution and frame rate).
A reasonable compromise could be a hotkey to momentarily show the word titles.
I am a contributor to Blender Development Funding. Please don’t ignore my request.

More fun with mixing symbols:
run%20script_4BIG

20 Likes

I think that works really well.

1 Like

this reminds me a lot of an “a la bladerunner” technoir adventure game that I loved a lot :grin::heart_eyes:
Observer_cover

I don’t like the icon of the ZIP files

2 Likes

I don’t either. That’s why I redesigned it. Check out the first post of the thread.

1 Like

I think that the problem is not the actual zip icon, but the fact that it’s inside a file one, while usually .zips are considered as folders (in windows’ file manager as an example).

4 Likes

Wow, how do you display these icons on a dark background? I would also like to be able to see them, even if I might not have anything to add, but I already fail at that (like a lot of other people I presume).

Hi! If you open the svg in Inkscape you can change the background color under File > Document properties.
For other programs should probably be somewhere similar to this as well.

A thanks for the info. Too bad you have to download this (plus the appropriate image editing software) just to look at it.

Well, to just see them you could also set the dark theme here in Devtalk.
There are also many simple image viewers that use a dark background for the alpha values, so that should also work