Let's talk a bit about the new File Browser 2.81

I find it much more important to keep on reiterating. Blender is on a very good track since 2.8 and has been improving massively in many areas that were deemed unchangeable in the era up until 2.79.

These things happen in most software development projects. Weird quirks that should be obvious but somehow are not deemed valuable enough yet. Blender 2.8 was supposed to ditch wireframe mode alltogether, at some point. It’s a constant process and if something is overlooked but important we need to make sure it’s being heared.

I kept saying “we need multi value editing” and it went from ‘no’ to ‘it’s easy to implement in a basic setting’ to ‘okay we need this right and open a design task for it’. The community needs to keep pushing if it’s important. Don’t keep saying that the whole is broken because of details. :slight_smile:

A warning popup dialog when you are about to overwrite something is needed in the file browser. It’s very easy to lose files in blender because of this.

2 Likes

Here goes nothing…

1 Like

This discussion is way too often led in pure theory, unfortunately.
I’ve read many argument points over the last few months (or longer?) - and they all sound like a valid point to be had in theory. When actually using the software though I know I have been saved by a warning popup before overwriting frequently when making a typo or similar things.

If you don’t make a mistake then a popup won’t slow you down. It’s a parachute that only opens when there is a reason.

Same thing with a save incrementally button. Where is the problem in having it?
It takes care of automatically naming somthing so it’s even faster.

And if you DO want to have the thrill of overwriting without a prompt then add a checkmark to the options just like the quit dialog. This one also was a long discussion but it’s a good thing that it’s there, doesn’t do harm and can be disabled for everybody else.

And if there is a better plan to making sure the user does not overwrite something by accident without a warning - then by all means implement that.

5 Likes

Yeah, this is a huge disappointment.

2 Likes

Okay - seriously. I just now deleted a file because there was no warning popup. I accidentally selected export FBX instead of Import FBX (which can happen while working pretty easily) and saved an empty scene over the one I needed to import.
The whole discussion whether it slows down Blender or is obtrusive while at the same time we have large travel ways between all sorts of areas in the UI which cost a lot more time during every day work is ridiculous. Ther is no harm in a popup but right now there was very much harm in not having one.
Is there really an actual, sensible resoning not to have one?

Yes - I am emotional because this was very much super unnecessary and very easily preventable for a professional piece of software! :persevere:

1 Like

That’s exactly how I’m constantly losing files in blender…
The only safe way to deal with this is by working like a snail… LOL… if you go too fast… boom… it’s gone…

The file browser is a very dangerous place… :grin:

4 Likes