Let's talk a bit about the new File Browser 2.81

Is there a reason why the file browser have basic stuff like path auto-complete? So if you start writing d:\s then it should five you a list of possible folders like d:\stars, d:\stuff and d:\shoes with the alphabetically first one auto-completed like your internet browser does with urls (type dev and this site name should be offered as auto-complete option). It is super useful features and makes file browsing so much quicker.

Also why not have windows style folder tree on the left side? That way I can browse the folder tree very quickly to get where I want. I think the drive letters buttons is an outdated concept that even windows got rid of in windows 98. It is just slow and cumbersome way to figure out a path to a file you want to open somewhere.

I’d also prefer a lot if all the options were not behind drop down menus. Especially when you have so much space on screen to use to just show them?

Here a quick sample I made which should be easier to use:

• You don’t need search text bar. User should be able to search just by typing into the single text box that is already there.
  • No need to have separate text boxes for folder path and object name. One is good enough.
  • Add “open” to right click menu.
  • Folder tree on left and you should be able to navigate it with arrow keys.
  • Buttons to quickly change between previews and list view list. More detailed options behind mouse right click and not drop downs.
  • File path auto-complete with a list of options.
  • user should be able to navigate at any moment by just typing a folder name (with nothing selected) and blender should select a matching file or folder
  • control+mouse wheel should toggle through all browser view options from list to big previews
  • have more stages between list. List, small thumbs, medium thumbs, large thumbs for example.
  • blender should not even attempt to open files which it won’t open (.png for example). Don’t close the file browser and show the error message. Instead show the error message on top of the file browser.

I just tried it and it seems nice, but I’m missing the ability to click in the file system view and just be able to type to move to and highlight folder or file names.

Also, more importantly, although perhaps this was never a feature in Blender, I’m missing the ability to apply a scaling factor to OBJ imports (very often, everything comes in 100x too large)… it probably was never in Blender, but FBX has it (but FBX has other hierarchical scaling bugs that Blender developers said they won’t fix which makes it unusable for me anyway).

1 Like

Guys, did you notice a little flaw I’m about to write is a bit boring?

When you search for a file, and select it, and open it it won’t load … this is because the file is not really selected, and you have to double click on the file to select it …

It would be useful if this small defect were correct

3 Likes

Not just when you search… :slight_smile:
This is a common issue in blender… This always happen when you’re coming from a text field. No matter what you do, your first click will just get you out of the text field, even if you click on a button/file etc…

2 Likes

Collections - how about an option to view Hierarchy?
It’s a bit painful to look for a needed collection among hundreds, when only a couple are actually first or second level ones.

1 Like

Totally agree! I loved how every folder saved the display option separately.

Why cant I see my windows shortcuts folders? Its just so wrong.

Hmmm, I can see it…

Or you mean something else? :thinking:

Support for Windows Shortcuts is in blender 2.90 or newer.

I don’t have anything to add to the actualy UI discussion of the browser. I use it and I like where it’s heading so I leave that to you guys :smiley:

There is just one thing file-browser related I really, REALLY miss in Blender: A “save incremental” command that lets me actually skip the browser when saving something.Using the Plus button on the keyboard is pretty cool and I would love to have this in other software as well but ever so often the cursor is not inside the right window secion so instead of increasing the file numbering I just increase the sidebar zoom. And the lack of a “woah dud - do you really want to overwrite?” doesn’t make it better, either. :wink:

1 Like

Very old request :wink:

Won’t happen, it’s too good to be true.

I know it’s been requested a few times. Change doesn’t happen if you say “oh okay then” after the first time it’s shot down. :wink:

I mean, it’s pretty obvious, isn’t?
If we need to force stuff like this, that’s a sign that something is not right.

I find it much more important to keep on reiterating. Blender is on a very good track since 2.8 and has been improving massively in many areas that were deemed unchangeable in the era up until 2.79.

These things happen in most software development projects. Weird quirks that should be obvious but somehow are not deemed valuable enough yet. Blender 2.8 was supposed to ditch wireframe mode alltogether, at some point. It’s a constant process and if something is overlooked but important we need to make sure it’s being heared.

I kept saying “we need multi value editing” and it went from ‘no’ to ‘it’s easy to implement in a basic setting’ to ‘okay we need this right and open a design task for it’. The community needs to keep pushing if it’s important. Don’t keep saying that the whole is broken because of details. :slight_smile:

A warning popup dialog when you are about to overwrite something is needed in the file browser. It’s very easy to lose files in blender because of this.

2 Likes

Here goes nothing…

1 Like

This discussion is way too often led in pure theory, unfortunately.
I’ve read many argument points over the last few months (or longer?) - and they all sound like a valid point to be had in theory. When actually using the software though I know I have been saved by a warning popup before overwriting frequently when making a typo or similar things.

If you don’t make a mistake then a popup won’t slow you down. It’s a parachute that only opens when there is a reason.

Same thing with a save incrementally button. Where is the problem in having it?
It takes care of automatically naming somthing so it’s even faster.

And if you DO want to have the thrill of overwriting without a prompt then add a checkmark to the options just like the quit dialog. This one also was a long discussion but it’s a good thing that it’s there, doesn’t do harm and can be disabled for everybody else.

And if there is a better plan to making sure the user does not overwrite something by accident without a warning - then by all means implement that.

5 Likes

Yeah, this is a huge disappointment.

2 Likes

Okay - seriously. I just now deleted a file because there was no warning popup. I accidentally selected export FBX instead of Import FBX (which can happen while working pretty easily) and saved an empty scene over the one I needed to import.
The whole discussion whether it slows down Blender or is obtrusive while at the same time we have large travel ways between all sorts of areas in the UI which cost a lot more time during every day work is ridiculous. Ther is no harm in a popup but right now there was very much harm in not having one.
Is there really an actual, sensible resoning not to have one?

Yes - I am emotional because this was very much super unnecessary and very easily preventable for a professional piece of software! :persevere:

1 Like

That’s exactly how I’m constantly losing files in blender…
The only safe way to deal with this is by working like a snail… LOL… if you go too fast… boom… it’s gone…

The file browser is a very dangerous place… :grin:

4 Likes