Is there interest in supporting a Metal version of Cycles for MacOS?

@S.I this thread is not for rumors surrounding up-coming Apple products.

As for updates surrounding the Metal implementation for Cycles, they will be released when there is news to be shared. The current plan is to have it available in Blender 3.1, but the timeline can change depending on a variety of factors.

3 Likes

@S.I and others, news surrounding the Metal implementation is best found in the “Blender Render” meetings that usually happen on a fortnightly basis. Check here for an archive of “Blender Render Meetings”: Other Meetings - Blender Developer Talk

4 Likes

For anyone .+

missed the news but have been following this thread, the current 3.1 alpha build has Metal!!! Enable in preference pane, you can enable gpu and cpu but beware it will crash in some circumstances and works better with gpu only for now.
Feedback thread is here:

5 Likes

Now that you’re cross compiling for Intel, will the Metal version of cycles be available for Intel? I build locally on my Mac and don’t see support for Metal yet and haven’t figured out how to enable it in the build.

No, it’s not working yet even if the buildbot is now ready to build it. I believe we are waiting for a macOS driver fixes (or a workaround).

5 Likes

I’ve added a notice on top of the original post, pointing to the new thread about Metal support for Cycles.

@brecht Maybe it’d be better to close this thread?

Yes, better to keep discussion in one topic.

1 Like