Industry standards and keymaps

That’s why this keymap is not the default. So not to worry.

1 Like

i’ll ask this second time if any one can answer me, in blender u can assign the same hotkey multiple times but only one will be active. so u can assign two by mistake and not knowing the changes, would be useful to have something that tells you that the hotkey is already assigned and prevent you from overriding it…thank u.

2 Likes

A warning would be nice. It shouldn’t prevent you from still committing the key binding since there are useful cases for overloading a key. For instance my z key setup opens the shading pie menu on a press+drag and toggles wireframe on a click.

More useful options will open up when sticky keys are implemented.

2 Likes

Ok, no idea why people demand the option to have a maya like keymap with left click select and it all, when it is already implemented in Blender for forever. Just open your settings , go to the input tab and then there is a dropdown menu “Presets” and oh look there, a Maya or 3Ds Max preset…in 2.79 the option for it is in the splash screen when you open up Blender. Also there is an option to just switch to right click selection and keeping the Blender shortcuts.

Left click select is very broken in 2.8 at the moment.

related :slight_smile:

I don’t know about that. I can’t say I’ve seen many examples of apps where hitting Esc will activate the select tool.

• In Modo, you press Space to ‘drop’ the active tool and return to select
  • In Maya, you press Q to hide the manipulator for selection
  • In Photoshop you hit M to activate the Marquee Selection tool
  • In Houdini, you use the S key
  • And in C4D you hit the Space Bar as well. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
2 Likes

edit*

there’s a misundestanding, esc for escaping from a tool.
Not as an activation for the selection tool.
i wrongly tried to express myself about this problem.

i just feel so wrong that after hitting escape multiple times, im still stuck inside of the tool.
that’s why the escape key is here, for escaping? isn’t it ? you use an active tool for a couple of seconds then when you finished with it, hit escape, and poof, back to basic.
this is the only and reason why i personally never use the active toolshelf and much prefer using regular operator, i feel stuck inside of this tool and and somehow it dont feel natural at all to use those tools.for me hitting escape to escape something is industry standard, even os standard. no ? when hitting escape, you simply go back to “default” which is in this case, the regular selection.

plus the fact that blender already use escape to cancel modal tools, it natural for every user to escape a tool using the escape key. no ?

i understand that this could be difficult to influence devs to put this in the master branch so i’d like to custom the input for my own build, is it possible to modify each active tools behavior in the input user pref, so that the escape key when no action is happening within the tool = going back to selection?

1 Like

Maybe not, but it’s a really easy to understand behaviour. In others programs it’s strange that you cannot go back to “basic” mode pressing esc and confuse newbies.

i Still supporting the idea of basic passive tools behaviour, that it’s similar to @BD3D proposal

6 Likes

Sorry for my previously very rude post.

I really dislike the idea of Active Tools. I mean, these Active Tools are nice, and well made modal tools. It’s just the fact that users had to have one of these active tool ALWAYS ACTIVE, overriding the keymaps we used to customize as the default behavior in all situations.

People has suggested to me that I can just leave it on the Selection or 3D Cursor and don’t worry about it. The problem is, Selection Tool and 3D Cursor also behaves differently now. To maintain what I am used to for default mouse clicks, I have to disable or remove the hotkey settings for these Active Tools. And to prevent myself from accidentally clicking on one of them and mess things up, I have to disable all of them. But then, if I have them disabled and vow to never use them, there isn’t a point of having them show up at all. So I hide them. But then again, N panel used to be where all the addon options are, and having a place in general consensus for addon functions is quite useful and effective in production. Now we don’t have it.

The old operator buttons in the N panel, it’s also quite useless, so I don’t expect them to come back.

Please consider to give us the option to disable active tools and bring N panel back for a place for addons functions.

3 Likes

At first the active tool was dedicated to the right mouse button, so the left click was « safe » from this feeling of « being lost » because left click don’t select like usual anymore

But now that the active tool is the left click, as you say, there’s no more « default » or « safe space » lol

A while ago i proposed that blender devs could let us choose if the active tool is the right or left button.

Or this escape key could also release us from frustration

Quitting the tool, it’s natural for a lot of people that selection = safe space tool free zone, and the active tool system is breaking this instinct

Its’ really important because left click users share selection with the active tool system. I think that right click users have left click for tool and right click for selection right ? So of course right click user couldn’t understand this struggle of « default selection state »

Thats why i told this idea of either « escape key to escape the tool » or « have the possibility to attribute the tool to the right click, in the pref panel »

3 Likes

Hmm, this post sure assumes a lot about what other people want or don’t want.

Hi.
Can you clarify what exactly do you mean under tool term?
A knife tool? A grab tool? A tweak tool?
They are different things, that behaves differentlyz so such explanation is needed.

In Maya “G” is one of the most used hotkey as it Repeats last action. In Blender with transforms included, it makes it unusable.

So much this. If something repels me from seriously trying out Blender atm, it’s this.
It’s a little scary that this problem is now at least 2 years old, and has not moved. :confused:

so marketing

Blender 3.0
Users trying to justify the presence of box select and gizmos, using both of them to tweak every single vertex every single time. This is the way that Blender teach people to survive in CG now.

This is a discussion I have been looking for a while.

So in my opinion, improve and optimize the Industry Compatible Keymap will have more benefit than harm. To minimalize (Not make it the same) the significant differences from program to program and the learning curve that can attract more people to use Blender and potentially increase the sponsors from differences artists/studios/industries.

Maybe some of you will totally agree @sybren said “I’d say that if someone can’t even be bothered to look up some hotkeys in a beginners’ tutorial, they weren’t serious about trying out Blender. It’s not just “the same but free”, it’s different software, and IMO it’s fine if it takes a little getting used to.” However I think this only apply to those people only care the free to use of the software and don’t really care much about the free of freedom behind the software.

There are many small/medium studios are willing to switch to Blender and just need more help to get them transfer smoothly and easily in term of the learning curve, before they starved to death.

So what I have done to help the Industry Compatible Keymap?
I sort out all the 3D functions and binding keys of Blender Default and made one temporary keymap as an idea and hoping there will ever be a discussion talking about it and make it better and better, and eventually it help the developers a bit faster and maybe someday Blender can come up with a perfect Industry Compatible Keymap besides Blender Default Keymap.

And one more things is about the contribution to help the software, this has been in my mind as a hope that I can even find a way to achieve this. I don’t know how to code, I’m just an artist, but I really want to help Blender develops better functions, better keys, better tools, let say to optimize the call out menu to make it more responsive in a certain way etc. So I was seriously considering hire an engineer as a part time to do some certain tweaks to make Blender features even better, and eventually purpose the improvement to official Blender updates, and let the Blender developer team decide are they going to integrate that into Blender, how can I do it? If anyone knows how, please tell me.

This post is direct to a post that I post a while ago that hoping to help improve the Industry Compatible Keymap,

1 Like

@sybren was not exact with his statement.
When you learn Blender approach, you do not learn different approach.
You learn an approach which is provably much more efficient and is suitable for a wider range of a workflows.

The problem is that industry standards do not follow growing industry demands for a long time.
They haven’t changed much since the ps1 graphics era.
For example, our company was forced to move from Max and Maya to a Blender approach in order to achieve higher speed and more efficiency in order to be competitive in the market.

1 Like